• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spectre 4" inline filter and ARB Snorkel (stock air box delete)

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So like many of you, I have the ARB Safari Snorkel and the stock air box. It worked great when my tires were in the 31-32" range but when i jumped to 35's the air tube was collateral damage. Everytime I was stuffed on the drivers side and turned passenger the air tube was destroyed leaving me on the trail with no way to ford streams.

I was watching Hot Rod TV on Spike 2 Sundays ago and they were doing a dual ram air set-up on a older Chevy. They used 2 Spectre 4" inline filters with 3" inlet/outlets and it got me wondering if one would feed the 4.0.

After some e-mail conversations with Spectre I found out that this is the same filter/housing that they include with the TJ 4.0 kit. So I ordered one.

The Problem;

The air tube hangs down too low and even with some good bumpstopping it was constantly being damaged.
P1020241.jpg

The solution;

Eliminate the air box and route the air tube through the fender to a inline filter.
P1020255.jpg

The install;

First thing to do is to open a hole in the inner fender next to the ECU, I already had a hole there. This XJ belonged to FitchVA's brother and Fitch had originally wanted to install the tube there but was unable to get it to fit. He had also lined the hole with rubber hose split so that it protects the hose from cuts.
P1020244.jpg

After you have a suitable hole you need to make the CCV inlet work with the air tube. What I did was to pick up a "1/2 hose barb to 1/4 npt" brass fitting and mark and drill the the downstream side of the tube to accept the hose barb. You will need to use a 7/16" drill bit and then tap the hole with a 1/4"x18 NPT tap.

P1020252.jpg

P1020254.jpg

Now just hook it all up!

P1020255.jpg

P1020256.jpg

Here is what you get with the kit;

P1020248.jpg

The filter;
P1020249.jpg

P1020250.jpg

This what I was able to remove with the replacement of the stock air box.

P1020257.jpg

I plan on using the open space for a Yellow Top for the winch, there is plenty of room now!

P1020247.jpg

How much did that enclosed filter setup cost? How is the performance/mileage compared to your previous setup?

It looks very cool, nice job.

Matt

How much did that enclosed filter setup cost? How is the performance/mileage compared to your previous setup?

It looks very cool, nice job.

Matt

$70, direct from Spectre.

I just got it installed tonight, I did drive it and it seems the same. I will have to get back to you on the mileage but right now I'm running 35's on 4.10 gearing. I have 2 freshly built axles with 4.88's ready to install when I get time.

Cool, I dig the setup, I was just curious if it perhaps caused any more restriction that stock.

Matt

According to Spectre its not supposed to. The CFM rating on the filter/housing is 450 and a stock 4.0 HO in a XJ should need 375 CFM based on a 5300 rpm WOT and a 70-75% VE.

Here is the response I got back from Spectre;

"We actually use the 9833 in our Jeep TJ kit and the intake kit flows 20% better than the stock intake assembly. As long as your engine in the Cherokee is stock, it will flow plenty of air for engine. The inlet and outlet are both long enough to clamp on 3” couplers. As far as being water tight, we have not tested the filter like this and are not able to make any guarantees. I hope this is the information that you needed."

The filter looks small, did they ever tell you CFM

450 CFM, yes the filter looks small looking right at it but looking at it from the side it is a long filter, maybe 8-9" and it is 4" in diameter. It has a fair amount of surface area but we will see how it does when it gets dirty on a trail run.

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the pre '97 models... Is that the ABS pump behind the filter housing in your picture? Do you think this set up would be compact enough to use in a '97-'01 with ABS? I know I'd have to relocate the washer fluid bottle regardless, but here's what I'd be working with...

100_8826.jpg

Edit: Oh, and I wonder if that Spectre set up is CARB approved? :eyes:

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the pre '97 models... Is that the ABS pump behind the filter housing in your picture? Do you think this set up would be compact enough to use in a '97-'01 with ABS? I know I'd have to relocate the washer fluid bottle regardless, but here's what I'd be working with...

Yes that is my ABS pump, which is disabled and needs to be removed and re-plumbed.

Yes it should work after removing the bottle, you will need to enlarge the hole for the hose

I have no idea if its CARB approved.

After a drive this morning i do believe that is flowing as good or better. I'm also getting a better "ram-air" effect from the snorkel at 45+ mph. I guess anytime you can remove 3' of runner and several 90 degree bends it has to be better. I'm sure the inline filter/tube creates some velocity to the air flow as well but there is no way to measure that, that I can think of.

I thought who cares, then I realized you must be in California. From an automotive standpoint, it must suck to live there. Could you just get a CARB sticker from something else and put it on there or do they check it that closely.
It looks like a cool idea. One of those right up to the grill would be the way I would go as I don't plan on going in any water that would be any issue with mine.

thats awesome, i'd love to throw that on my cowl intake setup.

my only question left is- is it a dry filter, or a wet one like k&N that needs oiling?

Its like the K&N.

Here is a link to the filter/housing I used. They sell the re-charge kits as well but I plan on using the K&N kit since I can get it off the shelf here in town.

meh, that kills it for me. i had terrible luck with a k&n filter and dust. i'll try and see if theres a dry filter option for this... i mean, the factory airbox just takes up too much effing space.

meh, that kills it for me. i had terrible luck with a k&n filter and dust. i'll try and see if theres a dry filter option for this... i mean, the factory airbox just takes up too much effing space.

I understand what you are saying but I can tell you that my stock air filter was not filtering well (Purolator), my TB was full of fine dust. On my other XJ's that are running K&N's the TB's are always clean at the throat.

I guess you could cover the filter with a prefilter cloth like K&N uses, shouldnt be a problem.

I understand what you are saying but I can tell you that my stock air filter was not filtering well (Purolator), my TB was full of fine dust. On my other XJ's that are running K&N's the TB's are always clean at the throat.

I guess you could cover the filter with a prefilter cloth like K&N uses, shouldnt be a problem.

i went from a paper filter, to a k&n, then back to paper.

just might be where i wheel maybe? i'd like something that breathes better since my 4.0 is loaded with every bolt on. i've been looking into a bunch of options.

Back