• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If I get newer hubs and older knuckles or vis-versa?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
Well I cant seem to figure out the bangs and pops in the front end. I thought it was ball joints then hub then ujoints, ect.. SO I swapped in a newer model housing and knuckle setup (I think the knuckles were the OE for the housing). I think the housing from from a late 90's.. Well I installed my rotors & hubs from my 1990 (I think they were 1990 parts or direct OE replacments for teh 1990), and then some new ball joints.

Well even after the new ball joints, all new currie steering, new heim on the TB and new Johnny Joint replacing the FT POS frame end, and new Yukon chomo shafts and JE REEL Ujoints, it still makes some good pop's almost bangs. Its every time I turn it full right and its just before full lock. Then again when starting to come back striaght. But it will also do it when going in reverse and going straight back, as well as random other times.

I am just trying to clairify that if I swapped the different yr fitment of hubs and such or disc and knuckles... As long as it all turns freely and stops well and seems to be right, should I be worried that I have a 'wrong' fitment part someplace that is creating the ujoint to not be in the right depth and its binding maybe?

Or any other thoughts? Even the steering box is new rebuild.

I would check the track-bar mount at the axle end. The bolt hole on the axle can get wallowed out pretty bad.

Also check the frame around the steering box for cracks. You might have to remove the steering box just to be sure there are none hiding behind it.

One final thought, you said you replaced the frame end of the track-bar. Did you also replace the track-bar mount? I've seen that mount work loose on a few XJ's.

Hope this helps.

baseballneal86 said:
I would check the track-bar mount at the axle end. The bolt hole on the axle can get wallowed out pretty bad.

Also check the frame around the steering box for cracks. You might have to remove the steering box just to be sure there are none hiding behind it.

One final thought, you said you replaced the frame end of the track-bar. Did you also replace the track-bar mount? I've seen that mount work loose on a few XJ's.

Hope this helps.

I have the full traction TB and the heim end is plenty tight and the hole was just enlarged to the min to fit thier 1/2" bolt.

I have the full C-Rok steering box bracing as well as a bumper that ties in to the steering area as well as some tow hook brakets that help stiffen that are up to the bumper as as cross brace also.

Then the TB drop braket has been not only fully bolted as FT wants, but it also then was welded to the rail. It also have a cross brace that goes from the TB at teh frame side over to the opposite frame/body rail.

I am experiancing the same banging noise from my XJ. It only happens after I stop and change directions and more so if the steering is turned one way or the other.
I checked everything again and again and found nothing out of the ordinary except the disk pads contact area on the bracket and sticking caliper pistons.

When coming to a stop if I release the breaks before the XJ come to a complete stop or if I continue in forward direction I do not get the banging noise.

Some older XJ's hada stainless strip (I guess as a wear pad) placed where the disks contacted the bracket. Would these fit the '96 XJ?

This summer the CV in my front driveshaft develped a bad spot and would make a pretty good clunk under load some times.

Back