• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hesitation at Idle

Whiplash_Syndicate

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys.I bought a 92 xj a few weeks ago and its been running great but the past two days. When i rev it to take off it hesitates and drops 100-200 rps then revs fine and no problems till i go to take off again.Im getting new plugs this weekend and my buddy said we should try to clean the TB.Was wanting to get some ideas from you guys as to what could be my problem?
THANKS for any help.

Assuming no check engine light? If so, pull codes for guidance.

Basics first. New tuneup hardware including plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter if you don't know when it's been changed last. Check/replace your air filter.

A bottle of quality fuel injector cleaner (BG44K, Lucas, Techron) may help optimize fuel injector spray pattern a bit. Skip the cheap fuel injector cleaner that lines the shelves. Worthless.

Clean both your throttle body and your idle air control. They get carboned up over time and miles.

After that see where you're at and check back.

No chk eng light.I replaced wires and intake filter the day i bought it.I was wondering if the check eng. light only comes on for 02 like my old civic or it would come on for other sensors also?

Yep, general tune up as mentioned.

Might want to test your TPS to see if it is in specs and if it has a dead spot.

Well pulled codes. batt disconect.o2, and tps.I pulled plugs and they were all white. i replaced o2 and tried to pull tps but the bolt are frozen.I can get a .25 turn and thats it i guess i need to go to the JY and get a TB but not sure which years to get one off of to get them to plug and play.

Hit those little suckers with some PB blaster and then turn it out, in, out, in. You may need to reapply the PB, but try working them loose.

Back