• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Holy thumping!

Psykotrp

NAXJA Forum User
:wave: New to the forum, but not new to Jeeps. This is my 3rd Jeep but my first 2001 XJ.
Driving down the road every time I hit a rough area in the road (New Jersey) I get a thumping noise coming from the right front tire area. Sounds like a bad bushing or something, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
Also, how easy is it to do an economy swap? Like a 2" shackle/coil spacer swap. Its also a family vehicle so I can't go crazy. :doh:

Crawl under there with a bright spotlight and give it a real good visual inspection.

Don't forget to check the top and bottom shock mounting.

Have friend turn the wheel slowly left and right while you are down there with the light. Watch for any unusual movement.

Post back what you find.

The most likely culprit is the lower control arm bushings. Cheap, but a little bit of a pain to R&R the bushing from the control arm. New arms complete with bushings are pretty cheap too. Check rockauto.com But check underneath first, that is only the most likely, not necessarily YOUR problem.

Back