• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 shifting

tugalo

NAXJA Forum User
96 country, 4.0L, aw4 will not shift into high gear unless I let off the gas, then it shifts and runs normally until time for the next upshift then same scenario, must let off the gas......any ideas?

Thanks Joe,
I do not own this jeep, just thinking of buying it. Actually I think its a torque converter lock up issue. I will know more after I drive it. Been reading some of your tranny issue posts and it doesn't seem like a show stopper.......will post results..

Its an issue with the shift solenoids...promise

Very well may be.

Next step after the cable/TPS would be to unplug the TCU and shift it manually. That will determine if any problems are hydraulic/mechanical or electric.

Its an issue with the shift solenoids...promise

I'm betting TPS sensor myself. Still solenoids aren't all that expensive. Don't suppose you have a vehicle you could borrow a TPS from? It literally only takes a few minutes to replace. Even less to check with a meter.

A sneaky guy might try to chew the owner down on the price with a line about not knowing if the tranny needs rebuilt. Or he could just offer to split the cost of a TPS sensor with the owner to see if that's the problem.

I have an extra TPS so no problem....since the FSM says that both the number 1 and 2 solenoids are in the off position to shift into 4th gear, I don't believe that it is a solenoid...I'm thinking TPS.

Oh well, some other guy bought the XJ before I could get off my wallet, so I don't get to do any troubleshooting. hoping another one will come along, I want one as my grandson's first car....thanks for the replies.

Back