• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap tube bender

dave92cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking around at possibly buying a bender and seeing what the costs are. I know I can get a JD2 model 3 for about 850 + shipping from quite a few websites which includes a 1.75" die. I was also looking at this hand hydraulic bender from lowbuck tools that comes with a die and ships for 550 here:

http://www.lowbucktools.com/hydbender.html

I know it will only do up to 90* bends but for starting the cage there's nothing past 90 that needs to be done. I've seen some reviews from years ago about that bender having issues with dies spreading or breaking, but was wondering if there's any newer info available to see if the problems been resolved or still there.

I don't care for the dies on the Lowbuck one, plus 500 bucks for 90 degree bends? Look into the DIY kits they have floating around now.

JD2.... and dont look back! the expensive part is the die, and you cant easily make those.... going diy can save some cash, but i ended up just buying a jd2, even though i bought some plans off ebay for $20. im a beginner tube bender, and even i realize having a 90o die is a limitation I DONT WANT! Ive used 180 bends for light guards, as well as a mock up tool.

Yah I'd love to have a JD2 unit but the appeal of the lowbucks one is the portability. I'm renting right now and don't think the landlord would like it if I drilled into their driveway or concrete patio in the back to mount the bender. I've seen some of the DIY plans like the pro-tools one but you still have to buy a $300 die from them. I've also seen those cheapo HF hydraulic benders but they're labeled for pipe and reviews I've read said that they kinked tubing horribly.

CNC? harbor freight grinder? telepathy? i dunno. im sure someone has done it to save a penny though.
i paid for all my bending stuff, i dont have time to dick around reinventing the wheel.

my point is, building your own bender is only gonna save you SOME money, your not gonna be bending tube with a couple peices of scrap metal.

Just searched through a few threads on PBB and he seem's to have been hit or miss and the last time anything was posted about him was Dec. of last year. Seem's he's a small operation kinda like AJ's is where everything is built when ordered.

Yah I'd love to have a JD2 unit but the appeal of the lowbucks one is the portability. I'm renting right now and don't think the landlord would like it if I drilled into their driveway or concrete patio in the back to mount the bender. I've seen some of the DIY plans like the pro-tools one but you still have to buy a $300 die from them. I've also seen those cheapo HF hydraulic benders but they're labeled for pipe and reviews I've read said that they kinked tubing horribly.

Mount the JD2 vertically on a mobile base. Add a HF air/hydro ram. Done. I have plans for the gottrikes bender....prolly going to go with the JD2 Model 3 because my labor to fab one is worth $$$.
5435760992_large.jpg

5435760993_large.jpg

No experience with them, but SWAG offroad is suppose to have dies to use with the HF benders so you can bend tubing instead of pipe with good results.

Last edited:
I just ordered a JD2 with 1 1/2 die and degree ring(now included) all sayed and done with shipping and everything 630 bucks can't wait to get it shipped on friday!party1:party1:

Looked at others but for about a hundred more I got the real thing!

Where did you order from?

I ordered mine from JD2's website. Have now built a cage among other things and couldn't be more happy with it. Just wish I could afford some more dies. All in time!

i bought a set of plans from gottrikes.com but am having second thoughts about building their bender. my time is worth something & i don't really trust harbor freight at all & would prefer not to use their air/hydraulic jack.
that said, i am thinking of just buying the jd2 bender. not sure if i should get the model 3 or 32. anyone have a solid answer on when to use the 32?

i just ordered a jd2 model 3 and after talking with their people i am very happy with there customer service. my cost was 721 shippped to my door with .75 and 1.5 OD dies. i just can't wait tell i am off this deployement and can start bending!

i bought a set of plans from gottrikes.com but am having second thoughts about building their bender. my time is worth something

yup,.... the way i see it, is if you just GOTTA FAB SOMETHING, go put that energy to the jeep. not re-inventing the wheel to save $100. time is money, and you'd have to be FAST to actually save money building your own...

i went as far as fabbing my own handle, that saved a bit of change though.

Back