• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

going from 231 to 242

Fore Wheeler

MWC President
NAXJA Member
my wife's XJ has a 231, and my new trail rig has a 242, is it a direct swap from the 231 to the 242? I'd like her to have part time 4wd and I can use her 231 for a spare.

I'm figureing that the linkage 'may' have to be swaped over as well, but don't know.

Anyone done this? Good idea or bad?

I did this swap. Provided the input splines are the same (21 vs 23), it bolts in. You'll want to swap the t-case shifter gate between them and you're dash indicators (FT vs PT) won't work without some rewiring. Also, if one of them has a vac. disconnect there will be issues there too. Luckily on mine, no vac. to worry about.

Its auto 242 going in where a stick 231 resides. Check your spline count. I believe that might be an issue. It could possibly mean that the 231 from the stick may not work as a spare in your auto 231 trail junk either.

Dang that hurts the head

***I THINK*** that as far as 93 and newer, all autos are 23 and all standards are 21 for the 231. I had to replace mine early this year. Before that, I think that the standards were still 21, but the autos could be either. Also check the cylinder... I think the 4cyl models have a longer input than the 6 cyl. I had to cut mine down. Anyway, hope this helps...Sorry I don't know about the 242. I wouldn't swear by this info or anything, by the way. It's just what I remember. :)

Andrew

well, I went the other way on mine. Replaced the 242 with a 231. I had to swap out the inputs, but it really isn't hard. I even have a 23 spline input shaft for a 231 if you need it (may cost you a few beverages).
If you switch the inputs, the bearings will also need to be swapped, as they are different styles. I suggest buying new bearings, as I put in a used bearing that lasted all of a few weeks. Had to drop the t-case back down and replace bearing and the front seal which was fubarred!
I have even been told that the input shafts are interchangeable between the 231 and the 242, so you can swap those if need be. The case I bought came with both. The linkage was not a problem, and I just didn't hook up the indicator light in the dash.

Andrew T said:
***I THINK*** that as far as 93 and newer, all autos are 23 and all standards are 21 for the 231. I had to replace mine early this year. Before that, I think that the standards were still 21, but the autos could be either. Also check the cylinder... I think the 4cyl models have a longer input than the 6 cyl. I had to cut mine down. Anyway, hope this helps...Sorry I don't know about the 242. I wouldn't swear by this info or anything, by the way. It's just what I remember. :)

Andrew

My stick (AX-15) has 23 splines, it's a '95. :)

As someone else mentioned, you can just swap input shafts.

Back