• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Travel trailer?

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
So i have about 3 months to figure some things out, NWfest is end of june, with a little research i have come to the conclusion i would like to skip out on tent camping and rent a trailer..

The first option was a 12ft Tent trailer, i found a company in my area of town that rents them for a fair price.

But for slightly more ($30/day more) I can get an 18ft travel trailer that has more features, A/C, shower.. etc etc..

My problem is, I have ZERO experience with travel trailers.. and i have ZERO experience with Naches.
Do you guys have any tips? At the end of june i know Air conditioning would be a very nice feature.. but does naches have Full RV sites? aka fresh water/drainage hookups etc..

what about power? If naches does not have power hookups, then what about bringing a Generator? From what i have heard, naches has a little outhouse, and thats about it.. so i fear this would not be a place to bring a full travel trailer..

Im trying to plan this out now, because the timing of the event means i need to reserve a rental soon.

anybody have some advice?

So i have about 3 months to figure some things out, NWfest is end of june, with a little research i have come to the conclusion i would like to skip out on tent camping and rent a trailer..

The first option was a 12ft Tent trailer, i found a company in my area of town that rents them for a fair price.

But for slightly more ($30/day more) I can get an 18ft travel trailer that has more features, A/C, shower.. etc etc..

My problem is, I have ZERO experience with travel trailers.. and i have ZERO experience with Naches.
Do you guys have any tips? At the end of june i know Air conditioning would be a very nice feature.. but does naches have Full RV sites? aka fresh water/drainage hookups etc..

what about power? If naches does not have power hookups, then what about bringing a Generator? From what i have heard, naches has a little outhouse, and thats about it.. so i fear this would not be a place to bring a full travel trailer..

Im trying to plan this out now, because the timing of the event means i need to reserve a rental soon.

anybody have some advice?
Lots of people have brought out trailers and campers. I think having a small tent trailer would be a nice way to go if you don't want to tent it. There are no power hookups, water dump sites, fresh water, or wi-fi available. I would think a camper should be able to go several days without utility hookups though. Someone with experience will probably chime in on this, and where you can dump your waste water.

Also, from a tent campers view point, I think the temperature range is pretty mild at NWF. We're at a pretty decent elevation, surrounded by trees. Don't stress too hard about the AC. Come prepared for chilly nights/mornings, and crispy afternoons.

NWF is coming up fast! :eek:

I have a concern about towing an 18' travel trailer with an XJ. Yes it is possible, but not safe for a novice trailer driver. IMHO

Most travel trailer have batteries that will get you a couple days of power if you are cautious. NO AC just lights, water pump, and furnace.

I would love to bring my trailer BUT how do you put an XJ in a short bed dodge? :)

If you really want a trailer, go with the Tent Trailer.

I have a concern about towing an 18' travel trailer with an XJ. Yes it is possible, but not safe for a novice trailer driver. IMHO

Most travel trailer have batteries that will get you a couple days of power if you are cautious. NO AC just lights, water pump, and furnace.

I would love to bring my trailer BUT how do you put an XJ in a short bed dodge? :)

If you really want a trailer, go with the Tent Trailer.
the trailer has a dry weight of 3700lbs. and i would be pulling it with the 5.9 and a brake controller

honastly scott. even if the trailer has a tolit. i wouldent use it. its a mess to deal with black/grey watter. if u stay away from the toliet. and bring a small generator you would be fine. and as far as weight. just check the gvw for the zj and then ask about the trailers "hitch weight" if it doesent seem like too much to you ,ya should be fine.

Bronze.

Sorry if this is a little delayed.
I have brought a motorhome, travel trailer, and a pop up to NW Fest in the past.

At Naches I have used A/C, shower, etc in the motorhome because we had it, and a generator, and it was a nice luxery.

With the Travel trailers (2 different ones) I would have used the A/C only for the comfort of the dog in the daytime heat (that year it was pretty warm during the day).

My pop up doesn't have A/C and I use a fan and the temps are fine for Naches in June most of the time.

Personally I wouldn't tow anything more than you have to. I would go with the pop up. I would use the toilet that is available at camp, I would bring fresh water in the trailer and use the battery that it comes with for basic lighting, water pump, heat, fridge?, etc. The ONLY value in the larger trailer might be the fridge? which would be of some value, but not worth the extra weight to tow.

Michael

The only experience I have is from last year. It was fine in a tent. A little chilly at night, but thats about it.

If I owned a trailer thats one thing. I know that after the drive home.. the last thing I am going to want to do is return a rental. :)

I can't wait for this year.

Last year Christy and I had just finished a 5 month stretch with an outdoor shower hooked to the kitchen sink and a honey bucket. Just up the road were some cabins which made sense for the first night.

The second night we wanted to take full advantage of the festivities and chose to camp. I would say that if you join the late night crowd you will be comfortable sleeping sprawled out across on five or six bowling balls.

I would say that if you join the late night crowd you will be comfortable sleeping sprawled out across on five or six bowling balls.

And if you are trying to sleep while the late night crowd is either making fools of them selves or watching other making fools of themselves then you probably won't get any sleep even if you are on the most comfortable bed you could imagine :looney:

Michael

Back