• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick burning smell question

wilky87

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I removed the wheel well liners the other day and I'm noticing a burning rubber smell inside my truck. I happened to notice it after going through a pretty large puddle.. I don't know if that is related or not. But I was wondering if it could be the smell of the brakes coming through the new opening between the wheel well and door. Do brakes make that much of a smell? Or should I be looking elsewhere for the source of the burning smell?
Either way, I'll be putting a foam noodle or pipe insulator in the gap to plug it up, but I just wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks

I'm not sure why year would matter, but lift and tire size could. Check for rubbing, maybe the tires are hitting something they shouldn't.

The wheel well would probably be the only source of a pretty strong rubber smell right?
I checked the serpentine belt and didn't see anything odd.

I'll check out the tires tomorrow when there is light out

look around your engine bay, look for rubber hoses sitting against hot stuff (exhaust, or maybe even block)

you can also melt sensor wiring, it sometimes has a rubberish coating (cps)

Alright, thanks guys. I'll check out the engine bay and tires tomorrow when I can see what I'm looking at.
Do you think the fact that I smelled it after I went through a puddle is a fluke? I wouldn't think that could cause something like that, unless it shorted wires and the insulation was melting, but I doubt that would happen. It wasn't all that deep, I just splashed through it. My horns are exposed in the wheel wells now, but I don't think any wiring would make make that strong of a rubber smell.

My butty has a random burning rubber smell occasionally. His has got 30" tires but other than that it's stock. It can small pretty strong, you'd think it would be easy to locate but no luck yet.

I re-read that later and tried to fix my typo but it was to late. I gotta admit that is the funniest one I've ever made =)

I found it!
I drove it around today and didn't smell it quite as much and I was looking all over, at the tires and in the engine bay for anything melting, nothing.
I smelled all around my dashboard and still nothing.
I lift up my back seat and my middle seat belt fell through the hole in my floor. The plastic cover on the clip was melting on my muffler. That would definitely cause a funky smell. haha :doh:

I found it!
I drove it around today and didn't smell it quite as much and I was looking all over, at the tires and in the engine bay for anything melting, nothing.
I smelled all around my dashboard and still nothing.
I lift up my back seat and my middle seat belt fell through the hole in my floor. The plastic cover on the clip was melting on my muffler. That would definitely cause a funky smell. haha :doh:

Fred Flintstone's XJ?

Back