• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best way to measure for centering front axle?

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
like it says, what is the best points to measure from to center the front axle? i'm geting ready to install my new trackbar here in the near future, and would like it to go as easily as possible. thanks

A**uming it is an adjustable track bar.

Go to Walmart's parking lot. Stop, remove the track bar bolt at the axle. Jump on the bumper a few times, things will "self-center". Adjust the trackbar so you can put the bolt back in, and put the nut on loosely. Drive a few feet and apply the brakes a few times. Get out and remove the track bar bolt again. Jump on the bumper again. Adjust the track bar--if necessary--so that you can put the bolt back in. Tighten the nut to the proper torque. If you don't like how it looks then you can measure things.

When measuring, pick a point on the front fender/fenderwell and tape/attach a plumb line and measure from that to any point on the tire/wheel you want, just measure both sides the same.

Last edited:
I have gone around and around with this and here's what I finally did: I got behind the rig and sighted along the front and rear edges of the rear tire and compared the position of the front tire relative to that. I did this because I could not find a place that was the same on both sides to measure from with a tape measure because everything on my front axle is custom fabbed. You might try strapping a long straight piece of metal to the rear tire and using it to sight down the side of your rig to the front axle. That seems to have worked quite well for me. I was having the jeep wanting to dart back and forth before because the axle was not centered but now it seem to have been fixed.

I do mine by putting a 2x4 upright along the back inside of the tire, measure to the frame, and then along the front inside of the tire and measure to the frame again. Average those two, and then go do it on the other side to the same points on the frame, and compare. As always try to get the wheel as straight as possible, but measuring front and back averages out any slight turn in the tires. After adjusting it move the jeep back and forth to settle it in and repeat till it's under 1/16" difference between the sides. This method's worked good for me so far.

You folks are over-thinking this.
On a flat driveway, concrete, tar, or parking lot;

Use a plumb bob or level to mark the driveway under the center of the REAR bumper (or trailer hitch). point A

Use a plumb bob or level to mark the driveway under the center of the FRONT bumper (or center between headlights). point B

Now strike a line or lay string from point A to point B, stretching beyond the two points.

Your rear tires should measure from the line to center of tread, or outside of tread equally left and right (unless your rear springs are bent).

Your front tires should measure from the line to center of tread, or outside of tread equally left and right (unless your track bar is off).

How important is this, not much for a trail rig.
I had to use a cargo strap to pull my axle over to reach the track bar after putting coil spacers on the front.

So my track bar is about an inch too short tight now, with only minor shaking at highway speed.

top of balljoint to inside of framerail is the best way, if you have a long arm suspention or a short arm with flex joints DONT do what joe said, the axle will shift comletly to one side damaging your shocks among other things

I too just installed my IRO track bar, I am going to measure from between the shock and brake lines at the frame to outside of each tire.

Mine is a DD though and want it as spot on as I can get it.

Any ideas on how to get it dead center without a shop's help?

I think some are missing a point.

Perfectly centered off of a body that may or may not be "straight" or "equal" on both sides?

I guess I would rather have the suspension and axle centered to its "natural" point, rather than forced left or right for appearance sake.

Different strokes for different folks.

Perfectly centered off of a body that may or may not be "straight" or "equal" on both sides?

I guess I would rather have the suspension and axle centered to its "natural" point, rather than forced left or right for appearance sake.

I think th ebest thing is to have the front axle straight in line with the rear axle regardless of what the frame looks like.This will result in the best handling characteristics.

I have to agree.
When sitting on flat ground, no suspension or steering part should have any significant pre-load on it other that what gravity and the springs imposes. Assymetrical loading is going to have some effect and it isn't going to be good (unless you are a flat-track racer).
If the axle needs to be forced to one side to look right, maybe this would be good time to find out why.

Back