• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ power window problem (drivers side)

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
Yes, i know there is another thread going.. but my problem is much different..

last week i was re-wiring speakers, when i did the drivers side, a 10-12ga red wire (part of the main door harness) arc'd against the door (somehow it was shreaded enough to arc) well, the dumbass that was helping me just stood there and watched the wire actually cetch on fire.. as im running to disco the battery..

I got it seperated and covered about 2" of melted wire with electrical tape,

Now my drivers window will not roll down, But all the others work just fine. The power doorlocks work fine aswell.

I figured due to its size, it most likely was the main window power cable, but all the other windows work.. I dont believe it "blew a fuse" because it kept going long enough to flame up. :hang:

is it possible its just the switch? Maybe fried the motor?

Last edited:
My first few steps would be:
1. Check ALL fuses with a test light.
2. Take some jumper wires and connect the window motor directly to a battery.
3. Check the drivers window switch to make sure its working properly.

If those all check out go on to relays and checking if the wire has continuity. From where to where does the fried wire run?

i would get my meter and check the volatge at the motor when the switch is engage. if no volltage, then check at the switch..........

break out the meter and test the curcuit.

Back