• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there a 83 xj?

chris y

NAXJA Forum User
I found a xj for sale and it has no title but guy says its a 83 but i dont find anything about 83 was think of it for parts for my 87 any info helps thanks.

The 1984 Cherokee was the first year of the XJ, introduced in 1983. It came with an anemic 2.8 V6. Transmission and transfer case were also inferior to the 87 and up XJs. Unless you're looking for body parts, I'd pass.

The 1984 Cherokee was the first year of the XJ, introduced in 1983. It came with an anemic 2.8 V6. Transmission and transfer case were also inferior to the 87 and up XJs. Unless you're looking for body parts, I'd pass.

MT Mike is correct, but it also could be a FS too.

I have seen pics its not the full size its suupposed to be 6cyl didnt ask if v6 or not will have to ask that but its also supposed to be automatic.

I have seen pics its not the full size its suupposed to be 6cyl didnt ask if v6 or not will have to ask that but its also supposed to be automatic.

4.0 I6 premiered in 1987, unless its a conversion it will be the little V6.

was hopeing to have it for spare parts body and drivetrain sounds like engine would be no help it tranny and transfer case same mabye it has decent axles i could get it for less than couple hundred figure couldnt go wrong.

could be a 2.5 as well

Don't hold me to it, but I think the 1983 Cherokee SJ (full-size job) came with either the AMC 360ci V8 or the 258ci I6.

The Wagoneer SJ (1984-1991) only came with the AMC 360ci V8.

And yes, the AMC 360ci engine is significantly different from the ChryCo 360ci LA-block engine, and there is no parts compatibility between the two.

I found a xj for sale and it has no title

Just thinking,.. How do you buy something without a title ?

For parts only OK. but what and how do you get rid of the body after you get all your parts ? My friend (boss) and I had this problem years ago. When he had an offroad shop. We ended up, Cutting up the truck into meany part so the metal scrap yard will take it without it's title.

If I remember correctly the axles are geared with 4.10 gears for that year and engine, I got a junk yard HPD30 with 4.10's and I think it had the GM 2.8L V6 in it. Probably has a D35 rear though, there are plenty of usable 84-96 parts on it though.

my .02

Back