• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 to 5 Speed ?'s

homemadeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
The transmission in my 97 xj is starting to act up.. it doesnt want to shift up until i get it up to a high speed for each gear...
so i figure i should plan on gettin a rebuild or..
should i put my old 89 comanche 5 speed in it??

Does anyone know of any write ups or if its possible???..i'm sure it is.
I've searched around a lil bit but havent found anyone who's done it
How hard is it to "shift" the clutch and all that over???

As far as the pedals, they are mounted in a "box" under the dash. Shouldnt be too hard to swap over. There is a hole in the firewall for mounting the cluch master, just pop out the hole with the x-men logo on it. You will also need a flywheel, as the flexplate wont work.

1. Adjust the throttle body pressure cable.

2. Test the TPS.

3. Have you tried flushing the trans fluid?

4. Have you tried un-plugging the TCU and shifting manually to determine if the problem is hydraulic/mechanical (rebuild-replace) or electrical (repair)?

Or do you just really, really, really want a five speed?

well it would be cool to have a 5 speed but i would only be doing it if my tranny goes...
1. thottle body pressure cable?
2. throttle possition sensor? i did change the iac motor because it starter revin up real high
3.i changed the fluid and filter around 8k ago
4.maybe i'll try that where's it at?

also i just thought of this but before it started acting up i pressure cleaned the motor like ive done many times and everything seems to be in tact but this could have caused something to come loose..
also i have the edge throttle body, module, and intake if that matters..

1. search it but its the cable next to the throttle cable on the throttle body, push it all the way in and then open the throttle body to WOT. and as for the tps search. pretty sure you have to adjust it using either resistance or volts.

1. search it but its the cable next to the throttle cable on the throttle body, push it all the way in and then open the throttle body to WOT. and as for the tps search. pretty sure you have to adjust it using either resistance or volts.

For 91+ the TPS is either right or replace, no adjustment.

Adjusting the throttle body pressure cable: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963

On the 97 your TCU should be located under the dash, driver's side, between the steering column and the air box. Smallish, silver.

the tps does not like to get wet. the tps could be the problem and/or the TV(throttle valve) cable needs adjustment.

unless the 89 trans is the ax-15 and not the ba-10, its not a good idea because the ba-10 is a light duty trans. i would do the 89 either way as it is an internal slave.

if you do this with an external slave 5-speed, you will need the bellhousing for the external slave.

The transmission in my 97 xj is starting to act up.. it doesnt want to shift up until i get it up to a high speed for each gear...
so i figure i should plan on gettin a rebuild or..
should i put my old 89 comanche 5 speed in it??

Does anyone know of any write ups or if its possible???..i'm sure it is.
I've searched around a lil bit but havent found anyone who's done it
How hard is it to "shift" the clutch and all that over???

Not just NO but HELL no

an 89 should have a pos BA10-5 a hand grenade with an output shaft if there ever was one

5300 5385 1 XJ, MJ 1989-90: AX15, 6 Cylinder Engine, 4WD, After 3/9/89

If your 89 MJ has a production date post-3/9/89, a 4.0 engine, then it should have an OEM AX15.

the tps does not like to get wet. the tps could be the problem and/or the TV(throttle valve) cable needs adjustment.

unless the 89 trans is the ax-15 and not the ba-10, its not a good idea because the ba-10 is a light duty trans. i would do the 89 either way as it is an internal slave.

if you do this with an external slave 5-speed, you will need the bellhousing for the external slave.

meant to say would not

meant to say would not

That does make more sense. :D

For just a moment there I Thought you were a masochist. :roflmao:

I wonder if some on has made the AW4 to AX15 swap...hmmm Searched where? in the FAQ section maybe?
hmm what is this little gem.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1013850

Oh thats cool.:scottm:

BTW worth the swap IMHO and I am suru Char will agree. He loves his..

But do the research... its a bit of work..

oh, I have an aw4 for sale too :spin1:

Well not too sure which trans it has but i was thinkin it had the ax15.. the born on date has faded away so i'll have to crawl up under there and check it out...
i did try adjusting the cable but it seemed to be adjusted correctly anyways.

idk if the distributor would matter but i did notice that its shot when i did the cap and rotor the other day and its really missing when accelerating....i'll have to see if i can swap the 89 dist over

anyone know if the edge module would block out engine codes??

Well not too sure which trans it has but i was thinkin it had the ax15.. the born on date has faded away so i'll have to crawl up under there and check it out...
i did try adjusting the cable but it seemed to be adjusted correctly anyways.

idk if the distributor would matter but i did notice that its shot when i did the cap and rotor the other day and its really missing when accelerating....i'll have to see if i can swap the 89 dist over

anyone know if the edge module would block out engine codes??

no, the distributer from the 89 wont work in the 97.

how did you come to the conclusion that the distributor was shot when you changed the cap and rotor? did it have too much free play when rotated? what happened to the distibutor to make it "shot"

what is the "edge module"? is this a piggy back system for performance like a hypertech module?

no, the distributer from the 89 wont work in the 97.

how did you come to the conclusion that the distributor was shot when you changed the cap and rotor? did it have too much free play when rotated? what happened to the distibutor to make it "shot"

what is the "edge module"? is this a piggy back system for performance like a hypertech module?

well when i pulled the cap off i checked for play in the dist shaft and it had a ton... also the shaft was pretty rusty and there was a little mud under the cap....plus you could see where the rotor was coming in contact with the cap and i could hear and feel that happening to the new one....

yes the edge thing is a piggyback system i'm not sure what exactly it does... i didn't see much info on edge's web site about it although i don't have alot of time to look.. i'm going to call there customer support

well i hooked the jeep up to my buddy's snapon computer and had a bunch of codes...the main thing was that its reading too high of volts for the tps so i'm gonna see if that will fix everything....

Back