• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj brakes on 01?

probably the wrong thickness at the wms as well 01 had a couple differences in the width of the cylinder on the rotor. if that makes sense its hard to describe.

There appears to be some cross over changes with the '99s and up when it comes to brakes.

Here's a snippet of a post I saved a while back... Can't remember who posted though...

I had this exact same problem on my 99 Cherokee. My rotors warped so I needed to replace them.
The problem is that in 1999 they changed the height of the disk.
I had the problem where they gave me the wrong disks also.
There are 2 rotors available for your year.(same as 99)
One has a 3 1/16 overall height and the other a 3 3/16 overall height.

I went to a place that specialized in rotors and twice the guy gave me the wrong rotors. Both times what would happen is they would bottom out and press down into the hub thus freezing the wheel.
The guy was so stubborn that he had the right part number that I asked for my money back and went elsewhere.

Lay your old disks on a flat surface. Measure the height. I bet it's 3 1/16 and that the disks they've been giving you are 3 3/16s.

By doing a search on Raybestos I found that they had the proper size disks.
I got my rotors shipped from Rockauto.com.
They are the only ones that had the part available at that time.

The Raybestos part number I is 76923 for the 3 1/16 height rotor.

The Raybestos part number is 7142 for the 3 3/16 height rotor.

Get the 76923 part number.

Back