• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get custom length hard brake lines?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I did a rear disc brake swap a while ago and just used the stock hard lines that go along the top of the axle. These lines are way too long, so I had to bend them so they would work. This looks really tacky, even though they work just fine.

I want my hard brake line to run tightly against the axle again, but don't know who makes custom length hard lines for this. I have seen many pictures of people who have done disc brake swaps and they all seem to have custom lines that look nice and close to factory.

Thanks for any input.

Buy some brake line and correct fittings, get a line bender and flaring kit, and some coat hangers.

Use coat hangers to make a template for the lines.

Bend lines.

Slide on fittings.

Flare lines.

Good to go :dunno:

X2. Pay careful attention to the "slide on fittings. flare lines" order :anon:

Also, double flares only. If you single flare brake lines you are going to have problems eventually and it will suck, a lot.

Where do you get a flaring kit?

Can I use my current brake lines and simply modify them? If I need new lines, do I just buy some OEM replacements and modify them?

Last edited:
I bought the Line cutter, the bender, and the flairing tool, all for under $30 actual brake line is available at some autoparts stores. for like $5 for like 4"

Where did you get the line cutter, bender, and flaring tool?

Where do you get a flaring kit?

Can I use my current brake lines and simply modify them? If I need new lines, do I just buy some OEM replacements and modify them?
I would get all new line, I don't like working with old line when I don't have to. New line is cheap cheap cheap at autismzone, it's like ten bucks for a five foot length with two flare nuts already on it, preflared at both ends, you just have to cut it to length and reflare that end. You want 3/16" line with SAE threaded inverted flare nuts - they'll be gold colored.

I bought the Line cutter, the bender, and the flairing tool, all for under $30 actual brake line is available at some autoparts stores. for like $5 for like 4"

Line cutter - I got mine at Home Depot, but it is a standard tubing cutter and will put a burr/flange on the inside edge you need to clean out. You're better off using a dremel with a cutoff wheel and just making sure you get a very square cut, then deburring the edges slightly.
Bender - got mine at Home Depot, it only goes down to 1/4" but works fine for brake line as long as you're careful. I honestly usually use my thumbs and my bends come out pretty nicely, better than some independent shop's work I've seen.
Flaring tool - I got mine at Home Depot (see the trend here? :roflmao:) but it's only a single flaring kit. Got my double flaring buttons from the harbor freight double flaring kit I got for $15, the harbor freight kit was worthless aside from the double flaring buttons, it broke the first time I tried to use it.

Where did you get the line cutter, bender, and flaring tool?
Flair tool
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...ool+set+includes+5+pcs.+adapter&brandName=OEM

Tube bender
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...2236&skuDisplayName=Tube+Bender&brandName=OEM

Line cutter
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...8+in.+tubing+cutter+with+reamer&brandName=OEM

I did NOT buy my things from autozone. but all 3 of those are what i have now.

thats the same tube bender i have, but i spent $4.99 also thats the same Flairing kit, i spent $12.99 and my brake line cutter was $8.99

Great. Thanks everyone for all your help.

I would, but they only have a premade set for the YJ on the 91 model year, and the grand cherokee laredo on the 96 model year, and they want $180 and $200 respectively :scared: No MJ or XJ lines on the years I need.

I can make my own set for that much, thanks.

EDIT: plus, he wants custom ones for the disc brake setup on his axle that didn't come with disc brakes, that's going to be hard to find in their sparse catalog...

For the rear line over the axle I like to use the coil-wrapped "armored" steel lines. NAPA sells them in rolls or in premade lengths, so if you can figure out the right length they might have the. Cheap that way too, since you don't need tools.

Search napaonline.com for "Armor Wrap" to find it. The stock XJ fittings are 3/16th but your disk setup might be different.

Eric, I like the stuff in theory, but after seeing what it did to the stock lines on my jeeps - hell no! I've never had a line get crushed by anything that would have been stopped by some steel wire wrapped around it. On the other hand, I have had the steel wire wrapped around it wick in salty road water and turn the entire brake line into a crumbly rusticle that I could break with two fingers. My brake lines on both jeeps were completely rotted away anywhere they had armor on them, and ranged from spotless to mildly rusted elsewhere.

why if you dont have to?

much cheaper to make your own and gain a skill that can be used again.

im surprised you suggested this, dont you make most of the parts for your rigs? control arms, skids, bumpers...

While I have bent/cut/made 100's of lines over the years this is one area I prefer "not to if I dont have to".
Not sure if Kastein was refering to "classictubes" prices,but just straight lengths(non-model specific) are only like 5-20$.You can also get them lots of places like NAPA,I just used Classic as an online example plus they have stainless lines!

When I did mine, I borrowed a tubing flare kit from Advance auto. IIRC it was a pretty well made kit. Maybe not Snap-On quality, but better than the Craftsman ones I've seen.

X2 on buying the pre-flared straight pieces and cutting them to the length you need. That stuff makes pretty bends even without the tools to do so. And you only have to flare one end.

Great help and information like what is found on this thread is another great reminder to me on why I need to renew my membership. If I can't find it on google, usually someone can help on NAXJA. Thanks guys.

I'm going to try and make my own lines using your suggestions in the next few weeks. Probably after I graduate from college. Can't wait for the end of April!

Back