• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer Hitch bolts...

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
Wat are the ome size bolts used for the XJ rear hitch? I cannot find the correct thread and pitch to bolt my used hitch to my XJ. I have used a couple bolts I have found kicking around but nothing works, fn' stores won't let me go and test bolts because they are considered "used" if they are the wrong ones... went to the dealership to look for bolts and I have to buy a whole kit which is $70 and definately not worth it since I have everything I need minus the bolts...help a newbie please :roll:

Don't have a tap and die to find out either,

The bolt for the Trailer hitch are M12x1. 75x40. Also if you are adding a hitch for the first time make sure the reinforcement brackets are clear and not to rusted out. Other wise it will take a long time to get them in and maybe even resulting in the nut to snap off the bracket.
Hope this helps.
Alex.

Any or all of the following nominal thread sizes...

1/2"-20
9/16"-18
M12-1.75

Not sure about the length, but given the 40m/m length for the ISO bolts given, I'm thinking 1-1/2" to 2" for the SAE bolts should work.

NOTE - try to get 9.8 property class bolts for ISO, and SAE Grade 5 for SAE. You really don't want these to be too hard - "strong" typically equates to "brittle" in steel, and I know I'd really prefer these bolts give and stretch just a bit, as opposed to snapping outright...

5-90

As far as I know, all the bolts for the standard nut strip are the same, and they are metric. They were the same on the 87 with its original factory hitch, on the later hitch and strips I got from a 93, and the same on the 99. It's a coarser thread than normal metric, and hard to find. It is possible to force a 1/2 x 20 coarse thread bolt into these nuts, but it isn't a good fit. It is, however, very easy to retap the nuts for the USS 1/2 inch coarse thread, because the thread pitch is the same, and the diameter only a little larger. If they are rusty and need cleaning up anyway, that's one possible approach. I did this recently when I put the hitch on my 99 and it made the job nice and simple and cheap.

Back