• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil dipstick hard to read

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
Don't know if anyone else has this problem, but my oil dipstick is impossible to read. It's almost as if the entire tube leading down into the oil pan is coated with oil, so that by the time I pull out the dipstick to check the oil level, it's like it has oil on the entire stick, making it impossible for me to tell what the real oil level is at. This is especially difficult after I change the oil because the oil is so clean.

Lately I have just been filling up the oil to with the amount of quarts it says it takes in the owner's manual because the dipstick reading is basically useless. Anyone else have this happening on their XJ? Mine is a 99' XJ and have ran full synthetic since the day I've owned it.

Do you check it right after you shut it down? Cold? Or wait for a couple minutes after you turn the engine off?

Why not get a coat hanger and make a cleaning tool which is about two-three inches shorter than the dipstick. Something like a rifle cleaning tool only flexible.

Clean the tube, check the oil.

Just discovered this today when I did my oil change. I don't remember it being like that before but I've slept since the last time...

Do you check it right after you shut it down? Cold? Or wait for a couple minutes after you turn the engine off?

Either way, same result. Same result after it sits overnight as well.

huh, mine reads fine.

The transmission dipstick on the other hand... not so much. ALWAYS covered in fluid.

Back