• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PhatJeeps Highsteer? Experiences?

bigolexj

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to convert from a currie HD setup to a highsteer with otk. I have been experiencing a lot of bumpsteer and crosswinds blow me all over the place at speeds of 60 or so....

Some background: I have 7.5" lift and 35x12.5 tires. I expect this will sag to 6" or so eventually (need lower cog).....I am having problems with handling that drive me crazy. Bumpsteer, crosswinds blowing me all over, sloppy steering, etc. I have checked my alignment and it's perfect at 6* of caster and toe is as good as it gets. Trackbar and draglink are parallel and I have an inner and outer steering box brace made from 1" steel plates and frame stiffeners welded to the crossmember and bolted to the frame rails (so I can still remove the crossmember if need be)... :D

Have to replace the currie setup anyway because the bushings are shot and thanks to a log, bent the tie rod. Came across PhatJeeps and thought their setup looked really good compared to Rusty's and Bulletproof, the latter being my second choice because Rusty's is just plain terrible in my experience...lol!!!!!

At $595, I figure it's good insurance and I'll probably never have to replace it again. Might even go with their rod upgrade to get even bigger rods.

Anyone have any negatives on this setup?

www.phatjeeps.com is their website. Thank ya'll.

I have the kit and REALLY like it. It addressed all my off road issues and concerns. The knuckle brackets are well thought out and move the steering components away from the tires/rims, as well as farther out and up from the front of the axle. And it's a good compromise from having to purchase WJ knuckles, bearings, brakes to get the tie rod higher.

HOWEVER...... you may be disappointed after installing this kit and find that you still have some of those issues ON-ROAD that you describe. High COG and tall tires with tall sidewalls.... they ain't gonna handle like a stock XJ does. My driveablity did improve quite a bit, but I was swapping out a stock ZJ steering set up on my 8" lifted rig - so pretty much any solid, OTK, heim'd steering system is gonna be an improvement.

Remember, when you lift the XJ, you're dropping the angle of the draglink. The more it's dropped, the more little changes will affect your steering. Simple body roll will change your steering a couple of degrees right or left. Two lane roads are usually "crowned" more than a highway - your rig is gonna lean a bit to the right and that contributes to those issues. Wide asphalt roads tend to get "ruts" especially if used by semi's frequently. Your wide and tall tires aren't going to respond well to the rise of the rut - and they aren't designed to. You also didn't mention if you're keeping the sway bar connected or if you ditched it. That certainly makes a lot of difference too.

If it bothers you that much, you might wanna get some blingin' 22's with low profile tires.... :D

Back