• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Qustions about winch's... Smittybuilt XRC8 and Superwinch LP series

Bertamus

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so heres the deal I may have a chance to get a smittybuilt XRC8 winch new in box from a guy off craiglslist for $250. But after reading mixed reveiws I'm wondering if I should just fork out a couple hundred more bucks and get a superwinch LP8500 everyone seems to have no complaints about them. or maybe the LP10000. The warns are just a little out of my price range and I've heard mixed things about them as well. I will probably only use it a few times here and there. But I want it to work when I need it. Also does anyone have the new LP10000?? And if so how do you like it is it essentially the same as the 8500 with a higher cap?? Thanks!

I think the Superwinch is a great value when you compare cost/quality/performance. I always like to recommend the following article for a little light reading. The numbers generated by the testing in the article show that the Superwinch is just about on par with Warn, at a much lower cost.

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=353

what bad things have you heard about the xrc8?

nothing bad, just a little bickering here and there... I just want to make sure that when I get one it's gonna work, and work good when I need it is all. And I think the super winch is a better bet in my case. I think I'm going to spend the extra cash and get the superwinch. At least it will have a warranty (mechanical lifetime, 3 years solinoid-comes with 2 in case one burns up, and 1 year electrical).

You can buy an XRC8 new for $300...just fyi. Also, I'm not seeing this 3 year warranty on the Superwinches...I only see a 2 year.

~Scott

I have the XRC 10 and have used it to pull a Prius out of sand, an old Chevy on 39s up onto a 2 foot high trailer (no ramps), and a Super Duty on 38s (in 2wd :dunno:) out of some axle/rear bumper deep mud, with help from another Super Duty pulling and an Avalanche anchoring me. Even tied to an Avalanche, I pulled both of us about 6" to a foot forwards across the mud.

You can buy an XRC8 new for $300...just fyi. Also, I'm not seeing this 3 year warranty on the Superwinches...I only see a 2 year.

~Scott

Finger hit the wrong key. I meant 2 year. I came across a LP8500 for 400 free shipping. I think I may go this route. Thanks for all the reply's. Also in no way am I dogging on smitty's.

I was going to go withthe LP8500 until I saw all the specs. That winch is SLOW.

I ended up buying the Warn M8000 from 4wd.com for $539 shipped. I also bought their lifetime warranty for $60, and they will cover anything that happens to the winch as long as you own it, mechanical or electrical. It was worth it to me for the Warn peace of mind and great warranty.

I ended up buying the Warn M8000 from 4wd.com for $539 shipped. I also bought their lifetime warranty for $60, and they will cover anything that happens to the winch as long as you own it, mechanical or electrical. It was worth it to me for the Warn peace of mind and great warranty.
How did you get for $539 shipped

wow, thats a big differance from their website price. site says the m8000 goes for $863.99. how did you get the great deal?

winchdepot.com has it for 539 also shipped free, plus a wireless remote free. Lots of places have it for that price now

I got my XRC8 new for $260 as a 4wheel Parts sale. Great value and has worked numerous times to get me out of trouble.

Back