• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whining Noise Up Front

pajeepman

NAXJA Forum User
I just heard it 2 days ago, GF who has been driving it alot lately said she told me about it a month ago??? Whining noise that isn't speed sensitive. Noise stays even when tranny is put in neutral(automatic), and when in 4WD high. I'm gonna changed the diff fluid and t-case fluid. Tranny fluid is less than a year old. Any idea. I have searched and haven't found much. I'm hoping it's not a bearing in the axle. TIA!

It is not engine speed sensitive and doesn't seem to be road speed sensitive either.

It didn't whine today until I drove it about 4 miles. The noise does vary with road speed but not very much. When slowly down to a stop (under 20mph) you can here the whine slow down and under 10mph it seems to go away. It does it in 4 hi/low and 2wd, haven't figured it out in N yet. I plan on changing the diff fluids to 75-140w Mobil 1 and putting mobil 1 atf in the t-case. I was gonna use RoyalPurple in the diffs but the store I had store credit for only had 80-90W(?) RP. Any thoughts on putting non-synthetic Lucas only stablizer in the diffs with the mobil 1 or does that kinda defeat the purpose of using full synthetic?

whining often has to do with something like a pulley or the power steering pump. I've had whining come from the speedo gear/cable being out of lube. does you speedometer jump to 10-15mph when you take off at a light?

does the whining get worse when you turn the wheel?

Have you tried turning on all accessories and then turning them all off?

I tend not to get whining from drivetrain stuff, thats more of a heavy metallic whirr, or roar...

Whining to me, is rather high-pitched...as in, the whine when from your power steering pump when its low on fluid or you put it hard over to steering lock...

just my first thoughts.

check the front driveshaft double cardan joint I thought my noise was coming from the front dif also and when I inspected driveshaft a couple days ago the joint was worn and had play in it I just rebuilt last night and everything is fine. It started about 4 months ago as a whining annoying noise that was not speed sensitive and eventually transformed into a grinding noise. take the front driveshaft out and go for a drive if the noise goes away thats the problem.

this is what it looks like if it is the problem its probably cheaper and easier to throw a junk yard one in
http://www.rblewis.net/personal/bronco/driveshaft/

I'm heading out side to check the wheel bearings and to change the diff/t-case fluids. The noise is there when the jeep is moving, in any gear in the tranny and any gear in the tcase(neutral and neutral while rolling) so I am guessing it's not in the t-case. The belt is new and the tension seems OK. I think the a/c compressor is crap(or the bearings anyway) but it doesn't noise doesn't sound like when the bearings went in my GF's Dodge 1500 water pump.

A/c compressor only spins when u turn it on. So probably not since you checked all the accessories and it happens with the a/c off.

I changed the t-case fluid and the front diff fluid but haven't had a chance to drive it yet. The diff fluid was not very nasty looking but it did have a bunch of small brass colored "bits" in the bottom of the housing(n). Driveshaft seems ok, no play it it. No apparent play in the wheel bearings either.

PS fluid level is fine, ALL fluid levels fine. Whine isn't heard unless Jeep is moving faster than about 8mph.

no, the noise is there when I am braking/slowly down.

So the noise can't be engine related, it only does it when jeep is moving, engine running or not. Any way to narrow it down to the t-case or front axle(I think it's gotta be one of the 2). I'm more of a CJ guy and still learning about XJ's.

So I finally swapped in a new front axle. Not sure if the noise was unit bearings, gears, or both, but the noise is gone. The oil in the "new" axle didn't have any metal/brass bits in it like my old one did. It was from a very clean C4C 2001 XJ with I'm guessing around 85k on it. It was a huge shame the donor XJ was a C4C victim, it cold have easily sold for $5-6k, it was a near mint Amber Fire XJ.

Back