• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifted the XJ but it rubs..

MudfrogK5

NAXJA Forum User
Everything I read said a 3" would clear 31's. Mine does not. I rubbed in a parking lot yesterday.. I went with 3" spacers and a aal to hold me over for a few months while I research bastard packs and such. Anyway, I'm assuming all of my springs are just really really sagging as it's not really clearing the tires very well. In the instructions it said not to use the factory spacer. Is this a safety concern if you do? That would have given me another .5" or so.

Before:
jeep.jpg

After:
jeep5.jpg

like said above...what are you rubbing?

I temporarily had 30s on 6 inches of lift years ago, and when i wheeled i could stuff the 30 enough to rub. no big deal. bump stops are important in any set up

Rubs on the back of the fender. Only while going over a bump and tire wheel locked so not always.

i had the same problem...

just mark a line on top of your fender flare, then take the flares off, and cut on that line...
if you're running stock wheels, then your back tires will probably tuck when you flex.

dont forget, jeep put in alot of sheet metal uselessly in the front wheel well.. so if its not very visual, and it looks like it might threaten your tire, just hammer it in,

sure it wasnt the lower control arms as well?

every xj with larger tires, even many with stock tires rubs the lca's. might have to adjust the steering stops out a touch if you want to get rid of the rub

I'm not wheeling this so I'm not worried about flexing. I just wanted a beefier stance. My wheeling days are over.

I have not seen it rubbing the LCA but I cannot say it isn't either.

I'm not wheeling this so I'm not worried about flexing. I just wanted a beefier stance. My wheeling days are over.

I have not seen it rubbing the LCA but I cannot say it isn't either.

If it is you will clearly see were the tire is rubbing the LCA. You need to check both sides.

If the rear of the front tires are rubbing, you really need to lengthen your control arms or use a drop control arm bracket. The drop bracket will bring back a smoother ride as well.

stock arms should be fine at 3" of lift. boxed arms or tubular arms would provide strength, but the increase in length needed for a 3" lift can be achieved by shimming the LCA mounting shoe.

a 3" lift also requires about 2" increase in bumpstops. like other have said, 30" tires can rub on a 6" lift without proper bumpstops.

also, is the front axle still centered? i know when i did a 3" lift on my 89, i went with an adjustable trackbar weeks later because i did like the axle being pulled toward the drivers side 3/4"

Back