• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To sell or not to sell?

RubiconKid95

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i've been thinking about weather or not to sell me jeep or not.

I am deploying at the end of march and it would be sitting my dad's driveway for about a year. He said he would drive every once in while but probably wont be wheeled.

The money would be nice to have right now, thats no brainer but its the sentimental value that it has towards me. Its my first and only vehicle, been driving it for about 5 years now and built it up from stock.

But then again it will be sitting for about a year. I could use the money now and I'm sure it would sell fast, but i would miss it.

What do you guys think?
$5000?

This is just me pondering if I should sell or not, NOT that it is for sell.

flex1.jpg

l_289181a431aa48beb3bcbebe0e7123-1.jpg

l_8d0735a450a143fb823339c9bae9cb-1.jpg

l_71c5cf9790d04dbf8d6a63a243e624-1.jpg

l_056c161db45a4392acfd908b0ef1dd-1.jpg

'95 red jeep cherokee sport, 5.5" RE short arm lift kit w/ 1.5" terflex budget boost, (5)35x15x12.5 ProComp Xterrains on 15x8 wheels, Rustys tie rod, Warn transformer grill guard, Rock rails, CB radio, Fog lights, Tire carrier, Cold air intake, 8.25 rear end, open-open.

I personally wouldn't sell it just because IMO you won't get anywhere near what you have into it nor $5k. Just keep it so you have a rig when you get back. Be safe while you're deployed.:patriot:

you might want to do some research and find out what other xj's with your setup are selling for. then price yours accordingly. you will not get near 5k for it.

35" tires? with stock gears and no lockers? It's a nice rig, dont get me wrong. but its worth around $2k That's a hell of a loss, not worth selling IMO

Yeah my plan was to when i get back put in lockers and re-gear. And upgrade to a long arm. Just questions messing with my brain. I have enough to worry about with all this pre-deployment BS!

Just park it and have your Dad drive it around and otherwise keep it in decent condition. You'll feel a gaping hole in your heart if you sell it, and you won't get much more for it than a stock one goes for.

Yeah ill probably just keep her.

That being said anyone going wheelin anytime soon? Everything is happening on my busy days. I have drill on the 6th so can't make Tahuya and I leave on the 25th so can't make Walker Valley. I will try to make the hypo... run, just gotta get out of doing something.

Also im not working so im free weekdays!

definately keep it man, like everybody else you'll lose money on the deal, plus when you get back you still have a lot more you could do to it and make it a project for awhile plus the sentimental value, my jeep is the same way i inherited my jeep from my dad when he passed (never going to get rid of my rig) and just cause it sits for a year wont harm it is an XJ ;-) i've seen some sit for several years and start right up and run great!!!

again keep it. it'll last (if you take care of it ) for the remainder of your life :)

Yes, Yes keep I will!

Everytime It pisses me off and I think about getting rid of it, I just take it on some trails and fall in love with it all over again!:loveu:

Yes when i get back I plan on getting a primary DD truck and the jeep will be my project. My plans are to...

-Re-gear to 4.88 and put ARB air lockers in it front and rear
-Upgrade to 3-link Long arm
-Inside roll cage
-chop the rear body quater panel glass and roof and off moving the hatch up behind the back seat like i've seen people do and mount the spare on the exo roll bar/cage.
-Rhino-line the inside floor boards
-Tube doors i can go back and forth with depending on summer/winter
-Snorkle
-Bettter heavy duty power steering pump and steering linkage
-winch
-Quarter panel/tail light guards
-better rock rails
-brighter head lights and reverse lights
-better exhaust
-weld up the hack job I did on my rear fender wells.
-etc., etc.

when mine pisses me off, i park it and fix it later.

selling is not an option, Unless its to upgrade. and no, an S2000 or 89 pontiac sunfire is NOT an upgrade

Yes, Yes keep I will!

Everytime It pisses me off and I think about getting rid of it, I just take it on some trails and fall in love with it all over again!:loveu:

Yes when i get back I plan on getting a primary DD truck and the jeep will be my project. My plans are to...

-Re-gear to 4.88 and put ARB air lockers in it front and rear
-Upgrade to 3-link Long arm
-Inside roll cage
-chop the rear body quater panel glass and roof and off moving the hatch up behind the back seat like i've seen people do and mount the spare on the exo roll bar/cage.
-Rhino-line the inside floor boards
-Tube doors i can go back and forth with depending on summer/winter
-Snorkle
-Bettter heavy duty power steering pump and steering linkage
-winch
-Quarter panel/tail light guards
-better rock rails
-brighter head lights and reverse lights
-better exhaust
-weld up the hack job I did on my rear fender wells.
-etc., etc.

If your planning on doing all of that i'd also throw in some D44's

i dont doubt that i was just saying as an upgrade since they are stronger

i'm still running stock axles myself
(good choice of lift too! i am also running the 5.5"short arm kit)

stock 8.25 in a 95, is a 27spline. Hardly stronger then a Dana 35.. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, here's mine:

A:buy an XJ dana 44 before you re-gear
B:Keep that axle, but get a 29spline full case locker and do a 29spline conversion when you go to re-gear
C:Spend all that money to Re-gear only to find out your "That guy" on the trail.. because it still cant hold up to 35"s.

stock 8.25 in a 95, is a 27spline. Hardly stronger then a Dana 35.. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they're full of shit, here's mine:

A:buy an XJ dana 44 before you re-gear
B:Keep that axle, but get a 29spline full case locker and do a 29spline conversion when you go to re-gear
C:Spend all that money to Re-gear only to find out your "That guy" on the trail.. because it still cant hold up to 35"s.

Sorry i am not that knowledgable about axles yet. I understand D44's are stronger but I beat the hell out of mine and i've never had a problem with the 8.25. I did some reading about it and heard a 29 spline 8.25 is pretty strong. I just have this feeling if I put new axles in, then im gonna start having problems. This is good info though this won't be done for about a year or more.
-Scott

still its just something to consider not necessarily a must. i plan on upgrading to D44's once i get the money because i plan on doing a lot more crawling, rather than hitting mudholes

well with a 95, you (should) have the Bigger U-joints in the D30, There are a few upgrades you can do to the Dana 30, that will hold up the 35"s just fine..

full case locker, (the d30's "weak" point is the carrier)
and alloy shafts.. with those two upgrades, the 30 will be somewhat reliable for awhile.

The 27spline 8.25 is my only concern, its not that it CANT handle 35"s, its that your wanting to put money into gears, why not invest wisely? There really is not alot of options for lockers with the 27spline, and your paying someone to set up the gears anyway, spend the coin while your there and upgrade to 29spline.

Oh right I understand 29 spline is stronger then 27. I read that as well. So dana 44 in the front and 29 spline 8.25 in the rear or Dana 44 front and rear?

Ok never mind I see what you are saying. Yes my plan was to upgrade to 29 spline. Sorry

Last edited:
Back