• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amc 20 swap?

G.P_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've been thinking about possiable axle swap's for the XJ. My CJ7 had an amc 20 from the factory, and from what i've found online it is just as strong a dana 44.

Has anyone swaped in a widetrack amc 20 into theis XJ??

Thanks
Garrett

Bad idea:
A wide-track AMC-20 is several inches narrower then the XJ axle.
The Jeep -20 has the 2-piece axles (which suck)
While the -20 center is actaully almost as strong as a D-60, the Jeep axle tubes are puny. Small dia. and thin wall.
Jeep axles have the 5 x 5.5" bolt pattern.
If you really want to do a -20 swap, consider looking for a passenger car axle. They have larger(but still thin wall)axle tubes, and most of the later ones have one-piece axles.

Wagoneer amc 20's are the same width as an xj axle and come stock with one piece shafts, truss it and run it.

Like said above cj amc 20's are pretty much junk with the 2 piece shafts.

A 1997+ 29 spline Chry 8.25 is nearly as strong as a D44 and will bolt into any XJ with no mods. I find them for $100-150 all the time. That makes it hardly worth the time or the trouble to install an AMC 20. No bolt pattern issues either.

You're going to dislike it if you want to regear it, too. Like Tim said, a 29 spline 8.25 is easy, cheap, bolt-in. You can get them for 100 bucks complete around here at a pick-n-pull, or even cheaper on your local chapter classifieds probably.

JnJ ran a Waggy 44 and matching AMC 20 years ago, I believe it was just fine. If the bolt pattern works for you, have at it.

Back