• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE1600 Double Shear Modification Writeup

CaliGold

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve never been completely happy with the Rubicon Express RE1600 Track Bar because it’s mounted at the frame bracket in single shear. This upgrade has been on my mind for a while, but finally have some time to work on it. Here’s how the RE1600 is normally mounted to the stock bracket:

before.jpg

The RE1600 takes a standard 3/4” heim with 3/4-16 Left Hand thread. Although I could have re-used the RE heim, I had a brand new one lying around although it’s not teflon lined like the RE heim. I decided not to use the misalignment spacers which allowed me to use a 3/4” dia bolt. Mmmm Beefy.

My first step was to do a layout in CAD. The flat parts will be made from 1/4” plate with 2 sleeves for the mounting bolt. The sleeves will be welded to the side plates and allow more surface area for the bolt - none of that wallowed out mounting hole crap here. The sleeves are 1” OD and 3/4” ID.

assy1.jpg

Here’s a pic in exploded view:

expl.jpg

Once I had this designed, I wanted to make a foam core mockup to make sure everything was kosher.
I generated DXF files and made a 1:1 plot which I glued to 1/4” foam core and verified the design.

foamcore.jpg

Here’s a pic with the foam core mockup on a stock TB bracket. BTW, I don’t think you can do better than a stock TB bracket as far as rigidity. It’s stamped from 3/16” with a 3D shape and double walled. I’m not sure anything made from sheet steel like the majority of aftermarket brackets can compare, but that’s just my opinion, so don’t flame me.

foamcoremockup.jpg

Once I verified fitment, I used the same DXF files to cut the 3 steel plates. I happened to use a wire EDM machine just because I had access to one, but obviously, the accuracy is way overkill. A laser cutter, CNC plasma or water-jet cutting would have made more sense, but what the heck. Here are the metal plates I cut:

metalplates.jpg

I don’t have pics of the sleeves I cut them on a lathe to .875” lengths which were welded to the side plates. Don’t laugh at my welding. I can produce strong welds, but don’t have enough practice to make them pretty. I guess I should keep my day job since welding is obviously not in my skill set.

sleeveweldedtoplate.jpg

Here are a pic of it completely welded up.

completedraw.jpg

Next was to apply a coat of paint to deter from my bad welding:

painted.jpg

And here it is installed:

after.jpg

Voila!

:clap:

Last edited:
You mean I've been running it upside down all along?

J/K... it's right side up.

Good job! I wanted to do the bolt sleeves when I did my double shear conversion, but I was using all steel I already had and didn’t want to buy more, so I made put on weld washers to make it about 5/16 at the holes. I see you didn't box in the "cave" part either, I was going to but it already seemed so freaking stout!

Edit- post 666!

Thats all Kevin's does for his trackbars,he needs your "core" back for the next one!

Nice writeup. The other guy that wrote about his 1600 trackbar can follow this because its exactly what I said he should do haha.

Nice work. Simple mod.

For those with high steer, here is what I did to a buddy's TJ, if you wanted to weld and keep the stock mount. I just built a new one for my XJ, with the HD RE TB.

53438773.jpg

Back