• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

end play in U-joint, normal?

Lightfoot

NAXJA Forum User
So I replaced all my U joints about 10k ago. I was putting in an exhaust this weekend, and discovered some play in my front drive shaft. The joint closest to the pinion is able to be moved around along both axis that the caps spin around. THe body of the joint seems to be able to slide in and out of the caps about a 16th of an inch. There is no rotational looseness of the shaft though. I dont remember ever noticing this before, and doing the wiggle test on the rear shaft does not give the same result, although the cap retainers are different. IT would be nice if this is what is causing my vibration at 60mph. Can anyone tell me if this movement is normal, or if I should replace it? Thank you

99 2dr 4.6 ax-15 231 4.5" 31" 30/8.25

Yes, that is what is causing your vibrations, bad front driveshafts will do that. I would pull the shaft, and then replace the u-joint again. (fairly cheap money, not too labor intensive, and you can drive around without a front shaft on the road)

Are the little rubber seals present between the caps and the trunion?

I am fairly sure its the right one. I always verify part numbers with the ones that come out, so I dont think I would have done any differently with this one. It is however the cheapest replacement I could find. Had no money at the time. Guess ill change it this week and see if it gets rid of the vibration. Just seems weird that it only lasted not even 10k. Got to love crap parts.
Thanks for the input.
John

Get Spicer u-joints.

Cheap crap will break. It is your drive train, don't skimp too much on it.

Before you strap it in, set the new joint into the pinion and check if there is any end play where it seats. If there is, your pinion is worn out and it will eat joints no matter how tightly you strap them down. If there's no play, go ahead with the new joint, but remember to use new straps.

but remember to use new straps.
Why do you say use new straps?

In the many times I've taken driveshafts off, I've never used new straps, and I've never had any problems. I've also never seen the shop I used to hang around at that was a 4x4 shop use new straps either.

Unless you get the forged straps, the straps stretch slightly when you bolt them down and will not hold the next joint very well. This goes for the pressed straps, I think U-bolts are also fine to reuse but I'm not sure.

Why do you say use new straps?

In the many times I've taken driveshafts off, I've never used new straps, and I've never had any problems. I've also never seen the shop I used to hang around at that was a 4x4 shop use new straps either.
What Kastein said. They stretch a little on first use. You can probably get away without replacing them every time, especially if they're not damaged, and all parts are up to snuff, but if they're not as tight as they should be, it could contribute to the wear on the yoke.

I've alwlays assumed u-bolts are all right to recycle, but never paid it much attention, since I haven't had to do one in many years. Remember that unlike a u-bolt, the strap cannot pull any tighter once the bolts bottom out. If it's distorted by wear or stress, it simply cannot hold the cups down firmly.

Back