• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air-cleaned engine today

hightime81

NAXJA Forum User
Evening all!

Yesterday I took a tooth brush and 409 to my engine bay to start cleaning it up (first time it has been cleaned that i know of).

So needless to say, it was pretty nasty. on the front of the engine in between all the pulley's and waterpump and such was this grimy charcoal like stuff. it was very thick, to the point of touching the belt in places. While i was cleaning it off, a decent amount fell into the lower pulley's and i couldn't get to it to clean them out.

Turned on my compressor and attached an air-needle type attachment and it worked great. i mean it really cleared out old dust and dried mud and the grimy charcoal looking stuff really well. I still need to get back in there with a rag and some 409 to get the grease off of it, but i was really suprised at how well a simple air hose and compressor worked to clear out gunk.

anyways, just wanted to pass this along as a quick and easy way to clear out a mass qty of grime without a pressure washer or a lot of extra scrubbing.

cheers.

I would make sure I got that area behind the crank pulley really clean so no abrasives work or have been blown into the front seal.

If you use compressed air, eye protection should be a "MUST HAVE"!

Back