• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ball joints

bluejeepkid

NAXJA Forum User
my jeep 89 xj, 4.0 4wd, needs upper ball joints. i see fixed and offset balljoints for sale for my application, wich should i get, and why?? i have no idea. yes ive searched lol

Unless you need to fix a camber issue (bent axle?) or change the relationship of the front pinion angle to your caster setting, get the fixed upper balljoints.

thanx for the fast response!
also, what size pickle fork should i get to do the job?

One big enough for the job? Off the top of my head, beats me. You'll also need a decent balljoint press, and should get the Dana adapters.

You dont need a pickle fork to do ball joints. To remove the TRE, just remove the cotter pin and loosen the nut, give the TRE a few good whacks on the side ant it will pop out.

To remove the steering knuckle, remove both cotter pins and nuts then using one ball pen hammer with the ball on the small flat on the knuckle near the upper ball joint and the flat of the hammer sticking up, give the stationary hammer a good whack with a mini-sledge. 3 whacks and it usually falls right off.

I would replace uppers and lowers at the same time and rent a ball joint press from Advance Auto or Autozone.

the bottoms will have to wait until next paycheck, do i still have to remove the knuckle to do just the uppers?

Yes. You have to remove the knuckle to do either.

Wait and do both at the same time.

ball joints are done. thanx everyone for the advice
5 hours and damn, what a JOB lol

Back