• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

door seals

Year would help!

Which seal? Dealerships and teamcherokee.com sell most of them new but expensive, and if you have a decent junkyard nearby there should be good ones there.

The large rubber weatherstrip around the door is the same for all XJs with the aame number of doors. ZJs had a slightly thicker weatherstrip with the same basic shape as the 4-door so those can be used too but you'll have to trim the length. The ZJ hatch is smaller than the XJ so that upgrade won't work.

The seal at the bottom of the window glass (the outside lip) came in two designs: one is the old-style with multiple pieces clipped together, then there is a single one-piece rubber for ~95 up. Get the newer style, since it's the same size (look here).

The rubber/felt seal for the window glass is best bought new but warning you have to take the door nearly apart since the ends are clipped in place.

The rubber pieces around the fixed glass in the cargo windows and hatch didn't change to my knowledge. Any good junkyard pieces should work.

the newer XJs had the thicker seal as well. I got new door seals for my comanche of a 2000 xj and I had to slam the doors for a while to get them to close all the way. Huge difference in wind noise and drafts though.

You do have to take the door apart to get that divider out, but once you get it figured out it is not that bad. Granted I have had my doors apart on 4 different occasions so I am getting to be pretty adept at it (window tint, power windows, seals, door locks; why could I not have decided to do it all at once...)

ya i already have my doors apart since i had to replace the lock cylinders so figured i'd try and keep some of the rain out of the jeep while i have them apart.

if i leave my jeep outside and it rains at night my front floor boards will have up to a couple inches of water sitting in them the next morning and the floor around the back hatch will be wet as well so i really only need to replace the seals on the front doors and back hatch but figured i'd hit all 5 at once. i saw the seals on team cherokee but i'm kinda leary of aftermarket stuff like that because they never seem to fit right or seal right and we don't have any good junkyards around here. i live on the coast so most donor vehicles are all rotted out from sand and salt spray

but if you guys say the team cherokee seals work well then i guess i'll order the 5 piece set and get it completed

I would confirm the leaks before spending much money. Weatherstripping can leak but you would be able to see tears and gaps if it was that bad. The seal around the glass (what team cherokee calls "window channel") doesn't allow much water in and is really about filling drafts than rain. The exterior wipes (the bottom exterior seal) will let water into the door but there are weepholes at the bottom of the seam where water is supposed to drain out (this is by design) and the newer one-piece wipes don't give a lot better seal they are just easier to work with.

While you have the doors apart, did that this week end too, hit the latch mechanism with brake cleaner then lubricate. My door locks and latch work a lot better after 20 years!

While you have the doors apart, did that this week end too, hit the latch mechanism with brake cleaner then lubricate. My door locks and latch work a lot better after 20 years!

I meant to do that when I had mine apart adding power locks, but I forgot. So I settled for spraying the mechanism with break free gun action cleaner/lubricant. and then playing with the switch for a few minutes till they worked well (I was gonna do this anyway, I had just added PDLs to a vehicle not equipped with them).

Side note, BreakFree works great on door keyways as well.

not har at all actually. the power pocks bolt in with no modification, then you jus run the wiring to a dpdt switch of your choice wired for reversing polarity. or go to the jy and pull the stock wiring.

the windows took a little longer because you have to pull the old regulator (its one unit with the motor). but i managed to do both sides in an afternoon without actually removing the glass or wing vent window. then you can just run your own wiring to a reversing polarity DPDT switch.

Note on the switch setup, I have mine center mounted because I did not want to deal with the extra wiring hassles of putting two switches in.

did any one ever come up with an answer ? i ordered mine from team Cherokee they sent me the wrong ones told me to ship them back i did and never sent me replacements or a refund :smsoap:

When I ordered mine for a 2 door I think there was a note at the bottom of the website that said the 4 door and 2 door seals were the same, and just to cut down the 2 door rubber (shorten) to fit the 4 door.
I'm pretty sure it was team Cherokee, it was along time ago. Anyways, they definitely sent me 4 door seals, they were too short. I called them, and they sent the correct 2 door seals, as well as a jeep shirt and hat.

Ok I found the emails, this was in 2010.

np1pk5O.png

Back