• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mobil1 turbo diesel oil 0W40

garr

NAXJA Forum User
Mobil1 turbo diesel oil 0W40
Have any of you guys tried this oil?

Looks good but the "0" Number seems a bit low to me for the XJ, odd part is this
it says on the bottle to use where 15W40 is called for!
This seems a bit odd to me.
What do you guys think?

Why would you use an oil with diesel engine additives in a gasoline engine ? Why do you think you need a 0W40 weight oil ? 5W30 synthectic works well for the -15* we occasional get in a Minneapolis winter.

Mobil 1 0W-40 meets key industry and car builder specifications for:

Mercedes MB 229.5
Porsche Approval List 2002
GM-LL-A-025 (gasoline)
− ACEA A3, B3/B4

BMW Longlife 01
VW 502.00/505.00/503.01
GM-LL-B-025 (diesel)
API SM/CF

Exceeding industry standards and the major leading builder requirements is the cornerstone of the performance reserve that lets Mobil 1 0W-40 keep performing well after conventional oils cannot. Mobil 1 0W-40 provides the widest range of protection -- providing the extreme cold start protection of an 0W grade and the high temperature protection of an SAE 40 grade.

why not?

its used for the Zinc
0 weight is to thin...Specially with High milage Xj stick with stock viscousity.

Not only that but, if your rig wasn't leaking before (I'm sure it is) it will when using such a light weight oil such as 0w-??.

Mobil One is a great oil but, I personally wouldn't use that weight in my high mileage rig. Just my .02 :cheers:

Not only that but, if your rig wasn't leaking before (I'm sure it is) it will when using such a light weight oil such as 0w-??.

Mobil One is a great oil but, I personally wouldn't use that weight in my high mileage rig. Just my .02 :cheers:

Nope: Not a drop for over a year now,
Since I repaired the oil filter adapter & changed the RMS it has been leak free!

I might mix 3 qt of 15w50 to 3.5 qts of this stuff (My rig holds about 6.5 qts when I use the larger M301 filter)

Last edited:
I prefer Amsoil full syn. But that stuff should work fine.

Seems good to me. I'd be using this stuff if I could find it round here. I'm using mobil 1 5w-30 right now, I put it in a motor thats never had synthetic before with around 155k on it, hasn't increased any leaks at all. I'm thinking the 5w-30 is too thin for my motor with my mileage, I'll most likely switch to the 0w40 my next change. What store did you find this at anyway?

Does anyone know how much phosphorus and zinc that stuff has?

Since I repaired the oil filter adapter & changed the RMS it has been leak free!

I might mix 3 qt of 15w50 to 3.5 qts of this stuff (My rig holds about 6.5 qts when I use the larger M301 filter)
wow...why are you gonna bash two Totally differnt weight oils like that? run 6 quarts of 10w30....what are you trying to cure??

Why would you use an oil with diesel engine additives in a gasoline engine ? Why do you think you need a 0W40 weight oil ? 5W30 synthectic works well for the -15* we occasional get in a Minneapolis winter.

It has ZDDP.

It cleans the inside of the engine.

It is recommended (in the case of Rotella) for use in 4x4s used in extreme service.

$8 a gallon for 10w30 Dino at Walmart.

Other than that, I can't think of any reason for diesel oil. :cheers:

Lucky you!!! How about coming over and doing mine.... Needs to be done but, I just haven't gotten to it.

wow...why are you gonna bash two Totally differnt weight oils like that? run 6 quarts of 10w30....what are you trying to cure??

How would mixing 0w-40 and 15w-50 = 10w-30? If anything, suggest 5w-40...believe Rotella full syn comes in that flavor.

For a lot of jeepers, 30 is "too light" - heavier operating weight will give you better oil pressure, and I know I always felt like it was thicker and therefore, protected better.

I know a few guys who run Amsoil 0w-40 in their rigs though and they love it.

I wouldn't run 0w-40 that is pretty damn thin for an XJ on startup i'd say. I run 15w-40 Mobil Delvac DX Diesel oil in my 97 XJ with 170k miles on it. My dad gets it from work for a song an a dance and the gentleman I bought the Jeep off of with a 150k miles used Mobil 1 5w-30 and on startup and period the motor was very noisy, lots of valvetrain noise etc. I switched to the 15w-40 and the noise went away didn't notice a decrease in fuel mileage either like sum people claim. I'd run 15w-40 without a doubt in a wheeled XJ, just my .02 take it for what its worth haha.

How would mixing 0w-40 and 15w-50 = 10w-30? If anything, suggest 5w-40...believe Rotella full syn comes in that flavor.

For a lot of jeepers, 30 is "too light" - heavier operating weight will give you better oil pressure, and I know I always felt like it was thicker and therefore, protected better.

I know a few guys who run Amsoil 0w-40 in their rigs though and they love it.
i never said it did equal 10w30.....you misread.

Lucky you!!! How about coming over and doing mine.... Needs to be done but, I just haven't gotten to it.

According to mapquest you are 1578.89 miles or about a 25 hours 6 minute drive for me
A bit too far to drive to change a RMS :eeks1:

And I opened the case of oil today, The gallon jugs are marked Mobil 1 5W40 turbo diesel truck oil, Even though on the side of the case it is marked 0W40,
I guess someone stuck them in the wrong case.
Better for me anyway, I feel safer using the 5W40.

Last edited:
I changed my oil yesterday, Put in the M1 Turbo diesel oil (5W40) +M1 M301 filter. It took 6.7quarts to get to the top hole on the dipstick. Pressure is fine, Slightly better than with M1 10w40. Truck seems to like it, engine seems to have quieted down a bit.

I also finally figured out a way to change the filter without making a mess, I placed a McDonalds large drink cup below the filter (Supported by the starter & whatever else is up there) slightly unscrewed the filter & let the oil run into the cup. Loosened it up a bit more until oil stopped flowing, then screwed it off dumping the rest of the contents into the cup; removed the cup from below & WALA--- Not a drop of oil spilled!
The McDonalds large cup is a perfect fit!

Back