• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

toggle switch panel for ignition

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, my computer crashed so I do not have access to my fsm and am force to use my phone for internet. I have a 99 and I'm installing a switch panel for the acc on an already have a push button start. I don't want to use a key anymore and completely want to bypass the factory ignition switch. So I need to know which wires do what. What I see in the ignition switch connector is....red, yellow, PK/bLK, BLK/OJ, blue, GY/BLK, BLK/WT, and a smaller guage solid black. In the little green connector there is BLK/BLUE, and blue

After some testing I have determined that red is the 12v power. Blue is ON. Yellow is starter. The only thing left is accessories. I'm guessing is possibly the pink and black one.

when you get this completely figured out i'd like to see a diagram or something, i've been wanting to do the same thing just don't quite know how.

After further testing I've determined that BLK/WT is acc. PK/BLK is another 12volt power source. And that's all you need to do what I'm doing. Ill do a write up with pictures once I finish since I was unable to find a complete write up on how to do this mod. Hopefully it helps everyone out!

Last edited:
Sounds like you got your wire UN-crossed But
next time get the Wiring Diagrams from here.
Reference removed by Moderator.

And this one: Reference removed by Moderator.

DO NOT POST LINKS TO PIRATED FSM REFERENCES!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya that's where I got my fsm from, but as I said in the first post, my computer crashed so I'm stuck using my phone and do not have adobe on it

What I think would be cool, if you really want to do away with the key, is a FLOOR mounted starter button--really old school, really cool, and it would hair-lip a punk trying to steal your XJ.

What I think would be cool, if you really want to do away with the key, is a FLOOR mounted starter button--really old school, really cool, and it would hair-lip a punk trying to steal your XJ.

I set a Camaro up for a guy like that once. Floor-mounted starter switch and Lenco Lightning Rods on a four-speed. You could turn the key all day and not have it start (kept that for the column lock,) and having four shift levers screws with just about anyone...

I was toying around with the idea of doing it all with overhead toggle switches myself, tho. I already have the START circuit run through a rocker switch - which has screwed with people before. Now, add a six-speed with Lightning Rods and a twin-stick D300. Hmm... Eight shifter levers sticking up through the console......:wierd::wierd:

That's a really good idea joe! I would have to find a durable switch and I'm not sure how difficult it would be since I have a manual.

I set a Camaro up for a guy like that once. Floor-mounted starter switch and Lenco Lightning Rods on a four-speed. You could turn the key all day and not have it start (kept that for the column lock,) and having four shift levers screws with just about anyone...

I was toying around with the idea of doing it all with overhead toggle switches myself, tho. I already have the START circuit run through a rocker switch - which has screwed with people before. Now, add a six-speed with Lightning Rods and a twin-stick D300. Hmm... Eight shifter levers sticking up through the console......:wierd::wierd:

That's where I think I'm going to put the toggle switches...on the overhead console

That's a really good idea joe! I would have to find a durable switch and I'm not sure how difficult it would be since I have a manual.

Look for a foot starter switch from a 1930's-1940's restorer. You may need to use a relay to trip the solenoid, but that's easy (I did the same thing with my rocker switch.)

The two seperate wires that are the Blk/Blu & Light Blu are for the key in switch. The red and Pnk/Blk both are power and come from fuse 2 and 3 respectively from the PDC under the hood. The Blk/Wht wire is a run/acc wire that goes to the junction block for things like power mirrors, drivers door power windows and locks and stuff. The Dark Blue wire is a start/run power for things such as sentry key system, evap, and other things that are important. The Yellow wire goes to the starter relay in the PDC under the hood. The Gry/Blk wire is for the brake light on the intrument cluster and is grounded in the start position only by the small Blk wire. That should get you to what you need.

Well I got the switches installed yesterday, here's How it looks...
ThuMar04193723AmericaLos_Angeles201.jpg
ThuMar04193711AmericaLos_Angeles201.jpg
I also have a video of it on youtube, ill post the link to that later today.

Last edited:
Looks good and the backlighting is a nice touch. Question though is how did you bypass the steering wheel lock?

Looks good and the backlighting is a nice touch. Question though is how did you bypass the steering wheel lock?

thanks man, i have a blue led theme in the jeep so it goes together well with everything else. And i bypased the steering wheel lock by doing what the theives do :D turn the wheel until it breaks!

On a 95+ you can unscrew the steering wheel lock from the side of the column iirc. That might be the shifter lock though, I haven't quite figured out how it all works. Regardless, it's two phillips head screws on the right side of the column on 95 and 96, and probably later too.

Back