• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling issues...

xravenwingsx

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings! My 96 XJ had been driving just fine until lately. I had always smelled a little sweet coolant smell but the gauge never read above 1/2 unless I was in heavy traffic.

2 days ago, when it was -1 outside with -21 wind chill: I attempted to warm up the Jeep as usual, and the heater never got warm...which I didn't think was too crazy considering it was -21 outside. Anyway, I got about 3 blocks and the temp gauge started getting high so I turned around immediately. By the time I got home, it was nearly pegged. I checked the filler cap last night and it had shiny metal particles in it...about half the size of a piece of glitter. Whatever it is, is suspended in the coolant.

What are your opinions on what could be wrong? I'm not much of a mechanic. I'm thinking maybe the thermostat stuck AND the water pump impeller is going out or has gone out at the exact same time.

Thanks for your input!

the coolant may have froze in the block and/or rad. if it did then check for damage at the freeze plugs, rad, heater core, and possibly also the water pump. since there are particles in the coolant are a big deal. check for damage and repair. then flush the entire system real good. once you refill coolant, check to make sure its at the proper strength.

Replace your radiator and flush system. My 96 smelled sweet. I looked close and saw white residue where coolant was ever so slightly leaking out and leaving residue on the side of the radiator where the fins seal to the side collar. I pulled the radiator and took the collar off the side to expose the cooling tubes. I had ~ 50% flow and my tubes were clogged.

If u smell it. It's leaking.

My 94 BMW used to leak it out of the water pump seal and spray it out the bottom of the motor as the shaft spun. Really really hard problem to locate.

Edit: and the particles are most likely your head gasket :(

check your oil, and put a magnet on a antenna down into your radiator if possible. See if it's steel your picking up.

Last edited:
Those partials sound more like radiator stop leak to me. That stuff you get in a tube and put into the coolant. Some of that could have blocked up your thermostat causing it to overheat. Its a possibility...

1. Find source of OVERHEAT. I'd start with a new OEM 195 degree thermostat. I like stats from Jeep and the Stant SuperStat. Don't buy a cheap thermostat.

2. Flush and fill the entire cooling system.

3. Start engine and watch the coolant temp gauge like a hawk until you build confidence in the repair.

If it starts to overheat again, you may have a problem with your water pump or your radiator.

Good luck!

1. Check your oil for coolant contamination and your coolant for oil contamination.

2. Your thermostat is toast--once overheated it is designed to lock open.

3. It is not too late to check the coolant to see what the protection level is/was.

I wouldn't spend a nickel on any parts until you locate the problem and have at least attempted to identify how much damage there is, if any.

If the coolant inside the block is frozen it can take a heck of a long time to thaw it out. If you have access to a garage get it inside and put an oil-filled electric heater under the engine and use cardboard, tarps and duct tape to seal the underside so that the heat will concentrate itself into the engine compartment.

Do not use anything but an oil-filled electric heater, and be careful with that too.

Back