• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas mileage

posa88xj

NAXJA Forum User
Well after reading the thread bout the 91 octang was very intersting and informational. But I am curious on what everyone is getting for mileage. mine for a while was goodish, i thought at around 15 maybe 16 at times. but now here lately im lucky to get 12, its usally round 11. Please if you could state your mileage, and any mods, engine size, ect. that would be awesome. Right now, if I could I would almost get a big f350 with a 460 and get 10 mpg, and haul alot more. I know that xj mpg isn't the greatest but I feel it should be better then it is. Thank you very much

1. If you are running ethanol 10 % you are loosing 3 to 10 % of your MPG--gov't study, my money is on the 10 % number.

2. Winter reformulation usually costs about 10 % of MPG.

3. Ethanol 10 % fuel with the winter reformulation = 20 % hit on MPG.

4. Driving style is the biggest hit on MPG. My Wife, that I treasure, has to absolutely accelerate until the last moment heading towards traffic lights/stop signs, etc. Drives me nuts. I was trained to watch ahead, and to take my foot off the accelerator when I think I need to slow down/stop ahead--saves on fuel, saves on brakes.

5. Good maintenance--plugs/cap/rotor/plug wires/air filter/multi-grade oil and/or synthetics, o2 sensor, etc. You can get carried away and waste more money on parts than necessary, just make sure you mark/track mileage so you can remember to change things.

6. Tire inflation--the harder the tires the less rolling resistance the better your MPG.

Back