• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 Problem

XJake88

NAXJA Forum User
I'm have some trouble with my transfercase. I was doing some climbing in part time and heard a pop and some grinding. 2wd still works fine, part time pops out going forward but works fine in reverse. Full time grinds and in 4low nothing happens. Almost like it's in neutral. Drained the fluid but there was no metal or anything unusual. The fluid was mud brown and I just replaced it 1000 miles ago

Well, the fluid should be RED, you are using ATF aren't you?

Have you tried adjusting the t/case shift linkage?

Do you have a lift with a t/case drop?

Thanks for the replies. Yes I'm using ATF and it was red when I put it in there. I'm adjusting the shift linkage today so I'll see if that helps. How do I check the trans mounts?
I have a 2" lift with no TC drop

Adjusted it and it didn't help. I also have a leak from my front driveshaft output. When in full time drive the grinding is coming from the front driveshaft output and the front driveshaft shakes

Last edited:
Sounds like "take it apart and have a looksee" time.

Can you get play with the driveshaft yoke at the front of the transfer case? Could be the front bearings are going out.

Got to look inside it without even taking it off. Just blew a huge hole near the rear output on the passenger side. Guess it's time for a new one.

The manual recommends the NP242 should have Dex/Mercon, not ATF.

Yep, it sure does, but as it has no clutches like an automatic transmission it just isn't as fussy. It just wants a thin lubricant for the itsy-bitsy pump. As the AW4 uses Dex III it would make sense to have the t/case use Dex III. If the AW4 had been designed for Type F, then the t/case would be specified Type F.

I´ve got the exact same problem,did you examine the 242 to see what was the problem(other than the latest hole in the case offcourse)
mine works fine in 2wd,fine in 4part/4full/4low in reverse,but forward I can hold it on the brake ,and the rear wheels slip on the ice,also sounds like a chain or cogs are slipping.

I have a similar problem I been having. There have been a few times I have had to run my XJ with no rear drive shaft. 1st when I did my regear (front axle 1st) then recently a bad rear drive shaft.

When I put my 242 in Part time to give me essentally front wheel drive with no rear drive shaft installed. The 242 pops out of part time and there is a bang. I have replaced all the shifter bushings and adjusted the shifter linkage. I'm assuming it should stay in part time and not pop out. Anyone know what might cause this?

If it pops out with no rear shaft it could pop out on the trail in part time 4wd.

Back