• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 inch lift driveshaft issues/angles please help

Hi, need some help big time.. 00 xj sport, 8.25 rear 231 case. Got my lift half in, rear shackles and lift blocks, front spacers. from rocky-road. said it was a easy 4 hr bolt in deal.I figured it to be a simple easy deal. not so. shackle hits exhuast, brake hose too extended etc.... I am very concerned at this point over the driveshaft. I have searched and cannot find my answer. this is my 4th xj but my first "rig". It is my daily driver. I started this mess to squeeze 31" duratracs on it. anyway.... the slipyoke looks to be pulled out too far and the angle is excessive. I am trying to avoid a SYE because i didnt plan on needing it with my 3 inch bb. I have a friend gave me a set of tcase drop brackets ill throw on tomorrow. what angle etc.... and how far out on the yoke is acceptable??

I read about using the tj yoke in some cases. will the drop be enough? should i worry about changing to the tj yoke? what do you guys think.. im swinging in the dark here. located in north central mass our roads are shitty i drive this xj 10 miles to work and need it to be "worry free" .. thats why i drive an xj....

The 97+ models are more likely to have problems with vibes,be prepared to get a SYE kit!

It sounds like you are doing a smaller budget boost? How much lift? For a budget boost you shouldn't be having any problem. I'm not that familiar with the late model setup but if you can figure out how to measure how of the slip yoke is engaged (inches deep) that will tell us a lot.

having comp issues. finally on here again. 3 inch bb shackles are not adjustable. the slip yoke is at least 2-3 inches farther out then it was before. adding the trans cross member drop tomorrow. Will not get to the jeep today (at the garage 10 miles away). Tomorrow i will actually drive it and post back on any issues. im hoping to not have to go with the sye. I a looking at a tom woods drive shaft that is a giant slip yoke maybe?? I dunno Im really new to the modification side of things, so many factors i had never thought would come into play with my 3 inch BB from rocky road. they mis-lead me into thinking it would be easy bolt on o issue kind of deal. if i would have know all this would come up ida gone with the complete suspension lift 4.5 from rough country or similar.,.. thanks guys

If you can find a slightly longer driveshaft that will probably be the easiest thing. This thread might help you figure one out. The slip yoke from the YJ is slight longer (actually the ears are long to allow more articulation, which makes the whole thing longer) but only about 1/2" so it is only going to help a little

hard to believe a 3" lift would pull the slip yoke out of the transfercase 2-3".

ive read that a transfercase drop is not a good idea on a 2000 with a low pinion d30 axle becuase it increases the angle of the front shaft.

at 3", you may need longer shocks.

I don't have any drive shaft problems nor are my break lines to short and i have a 3" lift on my 94 xj (with out an SYE). maybe you have something wrong with your t case to make the slip yoke stick out. if worse comes to worse you could do a hack and tap and front shaft out back. IRO and Rubicon express have hack and tap kits for like 200 bux. or you could do a junk yard hack and tap there are a few posts regarding that here.

im looking at the tj yoke, the hackntap and some shimming as viable options. the other driveshaft also. i do notice some noise from my tcase, linkage fluid etc... is all good. mind you this is a 00 xj with on 79k so i would assume its ok.... but then again i assumed a lot of things that didnt "pan out". anyway thanks again for you input anything and everything is helpful and much appreciated! you all have gone through many of issues im yet to come over and the wealth of knowledge here is something thats priceless from one jeeper to another thanks and keep the ideas coming they all rattle around in my head until i put 3 or 4 of your ideas together and make it all work. Ryan

bero, i have discovered my 231 and the 242/231 tcase in your 94 are slightly different concerning the output shafts. only difference i know 100% is i pull out my yoke and it will not leak like older ones would. they changed some things rwegarding having it seal.... also yoke on output shaft is 2 1/4 inches farther out (guesstemate) when i let the rear "hang" brake line looks like it will work has about 1/4 play when dropped down. I will address it later to make it right for "just in case"

update** ehall you may have solved my issues with the shaft thread. I think the shaft from a manual 97+ xj being about an inch longer will put me back into the zone. added with the tj/or yj yoke and ill gain back what i lost.. any thoughts guys?

also on another note anyone ever done any business with rockyroad? they didnt have the shocks for my kit, waited weeks, had to source them from a local store..... cost me another 150*** they mis lead the whole project. I'd have to say i wont buy again.... anyone with good/bad experiences with these guys out in utah>?

Last edited:
bero, i have discovered my 231 and the 242/231 tcase in your 94 are slightly different concerning the output shafts. only difference i know 100% is i pull out my yoke and it will not leak like older ones would. they changed some things rwegarding having it seal.... also yoke on output shaft is 2 1/4 inches farther out (guesstemate) when i let the rear "hang" brake line looks like it will work has about 1/4 play when dropped down. I will address it later to make it right for "just in case"

letting it hang is at full drop, so as long as the slip yoke is still engaged on the tc output shaft, it should be ok. the biggest concern with the 97 and up is the angle of the driveshaft. shimming the rear axle may take care of the problem but a SYE would be best.

are the shocks connected? stock shocks may be too short for 3" of lift.

shocks i got were rs5000 ranchos for 0-3inches. they were too short. we made new shock mounts in axle side on rear and positioned them exactly 3 inches above the orginal mounts solved! fronts I got a set of extenders for the top shaft. I'm looking into changing them before next winter. I use the xj as my DD and my boat hauler. I have some trails on family property with downed trees etc... i go down but i dont wheel the crap out of her. truth be told i could do what i need at stock height but whats the fun in that? plus stock height and 235s I feel like a soccer mom........ 31x10.5s and the 3inch BB was absolutely the perfect choices for my application...... this shaft is drving me nuts. junkyard tomorrow for sure!

shocks i got were rs5000 ranchos for 0-3inches. they were too short. we made new shock mounts in axle side on rear and positioned them exactly 3 inches above the orginal mounts solved! fronts I got a set of extenders for the top shaft. I'm looking into changing them before next winter. I use the xj as my DD and my boat hauler. I have some trails on family property with downed trees etc... i go down but i dont wheel the crap out of her. truth be told i could do what i need at stock height but whats the fun in that? plus stock height and 235s I feel like a soccer mom........ 31x10.5s and the 3inch BB was absolutely the perfect choices for my application...... this shaft is drving me nuts. junkyard tomorrow for sure!

if you have an auto trans, a 5-speed driveshaft should be longer.

how much further does the yoke(shinny metal on yoke) extend from the tc when at ride height?

if you have an auto trans, a 5-speed driveshaft should be longer.

how much further does the yoke(shinny metal on yoke) extend from the tc when at ride height?

jeep is 10 miles away at the shop. will be there tomorrow am to solve this last issue. I know when the rear was done everyone including me looked at the angle/and the SY and said ohh no. so its not right. the 5spd shaft i think will get me back when it needs to be. im going to take off the boot and check it out good measure etc.... when its done ill post some pics. hopefully wrapping this up tomorrow. 5spd shaft is my number one idea to fix this. seems local jeep retirement homes get about 50 or so for a shaft. anyone know if a shaft i can use other then the 5spd that will be two inches longer then my stock shaft? or will the tj yoke and 5spd shaft work alright? OPEN TO ANY IDEAS!:thumbup::farmer:

ok! jeeps together no vibes! trans drop seemed to take out the loss on the sy. to be 100% in the next few weeks ill throw the manual trans shaft in. i got about 2 1/4inches more inward that the yoke can go figuring the inch longer shaft will put it all back where it needs to be. thanks for everyones input. i'll post my pics soon. front is about 1/2inch down from the back. we broke the springs free and cleaned all the rust out and they came back a little more then i figured. should settle down shortly

Hey, welcome! I'm central mass, there's a good group of guys around here.

having comp issues. finally on here again. 3 inch bb shackles are not adjustable. the slip yoke is at least 2-3 inches farther out then it was before. adding the trans cross member drop tomorrow. Will not get to the jeep today (at the garage 10 miles away). Tomorrow i will actually drive it and post back on any issues. im hoping to not have to go with the sye. I a looking at a tom woods drive shaft that is a giant slip yoke maybe?? I dunno Im really new to the modification side of things, so many factors i had never thought would come into play with my 3 inch BB from rocky road. they mis-lead me into thinking it would be easy bolt on o issue kind of deal. if i would have know all this would come up ida gone with the complete suspension lift 4.5 from rough country or similar.,.. thanks guys
For brake lines, you can get stock ones for a YJ and they'll give you a bit more slack. They're like 10-15 bucks each at your favorite parts store.

hard to believe a 3" lift would pull the slip yoke out of the transfercase 2-3".

ive read that a transfercase drop is not a good idea on a 2000 with a low pinion d30 axle becuase it increases the angle of the front shaft.

at 3", you may need longer shocks.
X2, though I am running my old crap stock shocks at 3.5" and they're still doing mostly ok. I'm mostly just waiting for them to blow up though, they only cost me 17 each and have zero resale value so I decided I'd just use them as limiting straps/bumpstops till they break then get ones properly sized for my lift.

jeep is 10 miles away at the shop. will be there tomorrow am to solve this last issue. I know when the rear was done everyone including me looked at the angle/and the SY and said ohh no. so its not right. the 5spd shaft i think will get me back when it needs to be. im going to take off the boot and check it out good measure etc.... when its done ill post some pics. hopefully wrapping this up tomorrow. 5spd shaft is my number one idea to fix this. seems local jeep retirement homes get about 50 or so for a shaft. anyone know if a shaft i can use other then the 5spd that will be two inches longer then my stock shaft? or will the tj yoke and 5spd shaft work alright? OPEN TO ANY IDEAS!:thumbup::farmer:
Head for Sam's Pull A Part in Worcester, they charge 20 for front shafts and I suspect the same for rears. I am not sure if they have any manual XJs at the moment but I know they have about half a dozen XJs in total and usually about a dozen to a dozen and a half ZJs+WJs with an odd YJ or TJ or two thrown in. When I have time I hit them up in the morning before work since they're about 2-3 miles from my apartment.

Back