• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bELT SIZE THE SAME A/C, NO A/C?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
1989 4.0 with a/c. Just getting rid of the a/c system in my 89 xj I have the delete bracket with the idler pulley to replace the compressor, but it is smaller than the compressor pulley. The auto parts stiore lists one belt only, Is this right? Is there really that much adjustment there?
A/c sucks with half doors and it will allow me to add 2 pusher fans up front as well

There is quite a bit of adjustment you can do. I havent done this mod myself but am replacing my motor right now and that A/C system is not going back in.
Ill be bypassing it also. Sure would like there to be a spring tensioned idler pully like in most other vehicles instead of that P/S pump.

1989 4.0 with a/c. Just getting rid of the a/c system in my 89 xj I have the delete bracket with the idler pulley to replace the compressor, but it is smaller than the compressor pulley. The auto parts stiore lists one belt only, Is this right? Is there really that much adjustment there?
A/c sucks with half doors and it will allow me to add 2 pusher fans up front as well

Have you tried to mock it up? I think the factory a/c delete bracket and idler are offset of the center line for the a/c pulley.

Probably wrong, mine is a/c-less from the factory, so I'm just working off memory.

On my 89, when the non-ac idler pulley went bad, I swapped in a compressor (for an onboard air setup) and didn't have to change the belt. The center of the smaller pulley sits higher than the center of the compressor pulley.

Thanks, Never thought about the whole idler being in a different position.

Back