• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990, transducer diaphragm has a hole in it, where can I get one?

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I checked the dealer, they want $145 and other local auto parts stores either aren't listing it or can't get it.

I have a very small pin hole in the diaphragm.

1) where can I get a new one cheap?

2) can I delete the transducer all together? If so, what do I do with the extra nipple on the EGR base?

Salvage yard.

88-90 4.0 only.

I'm always watching for them, usually pay about $5 ea.

I don't know what the emissions requirements are in VA, I applaud your intent to keep the emissions equipment intact.

That said, if you can't locate one at the salvage yard, I would change to the earlier EGR valve--87 w/o the nipple (I love that word)--and just run a one piece hose from the EGR solenoid to the EGR valve, as a last resort.

Note that the 87 version, while it will work fine assuming it's good at all, will always fail a simple vacuum test even if it's good. It has a back-pressure valve in the diaphragm, so it leaks a little vacuum under normal conditions. I suspect that this was a less reliable design, so second Joe's suggestion that it serve only as a last resort if you can't find the two piece one.

If you can keep your EGR working, you might, despite the counter-intuitive nature of EGR, get slightly better performance, because EGR's cooling effect combats part-throttle knock, and this, in turn, means the knock sensor won't have to retard your timing on the fly.

If you can find a good junkyard EGR cheap, get the whole thing, transducer and all. I have encountered an 88 EGR valve that hung open when it wore. Spares are useful.

Thanks guys.

I have some part throttle detonation/pinging right now. I have been "testing" the engine without the EGR for a while now and want to hook it all back up and check mileage/performance. I recently switched to the Ford 5.0 injectors and have gained a good bit of mileage/performance but I'm always looking for more.

We do not have emissions inspection in my part of VA but I suspect it will happen sooner or later. We do have a safety inspection and a visual inspection of emission parts.

I hope my 90 will reach "antique" status before that happens and will be exempt from all inspections but till then I just want to play with it some.

I wonder for testing purposes if I could repair the diaphragm with some "liquid electrical tape" to seal the small hole. The diaphragm is in otherwise very good condition.

Thanks guys.

I have some part throttle detonation/pinging right now. I have been "testing" the engine without the EGR for a while now and want to hook it all back up and check mileage/performance. I recently switched to the Ford 5.0 injectors and have gained a good bit of mileage/performance but I'm always looking for more.

We do not have emissions inspection in my part of VA but I suspect it will happen sooner or later. We do have a safety inspection and a visual inspection of emission parts.

I hope my 90 will reach "antique" status before that happens and will be exempt from all inspections but till then I just want to play with it some.

I wonder for testing purposes if I could repair the diaphragm with some "liquid electrical tape" to seal the small hole. The diaphragm is in otherwise very good condition.

Why not? I repaired a fuel pump diaphragm once. A+ for initiative. NOTE: most of the bad transducers I have found in the salvage yard had the same problem mine had when I first got it--the valve was cooked by getting too close to the exhaust. I used zip ties to secure mine out of harm's way.

Back