• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

in dash factory GPS

austinaubinoe

NAXJA Forum User
wasnt an in dash gps an option for the TJ? anyone swap one into a cherokee??

The radio mount was identical up till '02 iirc, and modifiable all the way to '06.

Any thoughts, was just thinking about buying a gps unit.

wasnt an in dash gps an option for the TJ? anyone swap one into a cherokee??

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you're looking at installing one in a '97-up XJ - I'm basing this on the year selection you've mentioned from the TJs.

It was definitely an option - but IIRC, the Mopar sat-nav unit in the TJ relied on bus signals that aren't present in the XJ. My recollection is that the radio part will work fine, but the signals it needs for navigation either aren't present or are incompatible with what the CAN bus in the XJ generates. You'll basically end up with a radio with a really nice LCD that doesn't do much.

Having said that, it's been a while since I looked into it. Someone else may have more / better info, but my recollection is that options for GPS units that will fit the 1.5-DIN opening in the '97-up XJs are pretty much nonexistent. Also, you may want to take a look at this thread; there's been some work done on modifying a standard 1.5-DIN centre bezel to work with 2-DIN head units.

Any thoughts, was just thinking about buying a gps unit.

If you're looking for a good combined road/trail unit, the Garmin 60CSX is a good balance between the two. It's not the greatest on-road unit, but it is definitely usable. Works great for trails; love it for geocaching. Install a marine mount, run power to it, and you're set.

Last edited:
Doesn't the XJ use CCD bus not CAN bus? From some of the hacking I've done on 97+ XJ parts, it seems to.

Doesn't the XJ use CCD bus not CAN bus? From some of the hacking I've done on 97+ XJ parts, it seems to.

Ack, you're right. My bad; didn't catch that one.

Are you thinking of this one?
http://www.jeephowto.com/wj/nav_2003.jpg
I remember when I worked at a dealership we had 2 Overland edition WJ's that had it in them.

http://www.jeephowto.com/wj/nav.htm

"First, the navigation system receives location signals from Global Positioning Satellites (GPS) orbiting the earth. At the same time within your vehicle, speed pulse, reverse signal sensors and a gyroscope constantly monitor distance traveled, direction and turn information. "

This is the reason why they will not work in the XJ.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODG...410447QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo#ht_1554wt_1165

Last edited:
hey thanks for the very interesting links! may look into this for my Tj (2000) when I actually gear it to be able to go on the highway hahaha.

But that double din custom looks super easy to do! that may be my next project! the only thing that was holding me back was having a gay GPS mounted on my dash.

anyone know of a good GPS like that...dont like the fold out ones (but i think those are only single din size).

and can you hook an ipod and all that junk up to them? I currently have an ALPINE head unit which is quite nice because you can hook an ipod through the back and control it from the screen.

Thanks again for the help!

DAMN just quickly checked the bestbuy site and all the double dins where around a grand! anyone know of one closer to $500? or where i can get a reliable used one?

All the options are just so confusing, are there brands to stay away from??

hey thanks for the very interesting links! may look into this for my Tj (2000) when I actually gear it to be able to go on the highway hahaha.

But that double din custom looks super easy to do! that may be my next project! the only thing that was holding me back was having a gay GPS mounted on my dash.

Hm - I wasn't aware that my GPS unit had a sexual preference:

60csx.jpg

Oh boy, Picture Time!

The unit you are referring to is called an RB1. As mentioned, you will run into issues with the CAN Bus integration. As far as I know, the maps will work but the vehicle won't track. Hit up Ebay, and you'll find that they still selling between $300 and $500. For that price, you can get a nice window mounted unit. The 60 series garmin handhelds are nice,but the screen is pretty small (like the RB1).

I run a garmin handheld in addition to an external antenna that runs from my tailgate to the center console. That way I don't need to mount the GPS on the dash to get reception. The antenna costs $20.
2623449534_e9f403ecf0_o.jpg

2622625865_478330729b_o.jpg

For the record, the RB1 will fit in your dash. I installed an RBK in order to utilize the factory changer port for my ipod, while maintaining a CD player. OEM XJ's with changers only had a tape deck.
2121390405_d42b7cc49b_b.jpg

I think you will have better luck cutting your 1.5 din radio slot into a 2.0 slot and install an 2.0 gps unit,.. Having said that 1.5 GPS units are made but hard to find. I will say if you do 4wheel your jeep any type with a slide out screen will not hold up to long.

here 2.0 slot for $272
http://www.vankle.com/2-din-car-dvd-usb-sd-7-inch-touch-screen-with-bluetooth-and-tv-tuner.html

and an 1.0 slot for €415,00 maybe theres a US
http://www.navaudio.com/products/1-din-4-inch-Car-Radio-%2b-GPS-Europe-DVD-Player.html

but why would a gps need to know what the engine and trans are doing?

thats the point I'm trying to make, the GPS would rely on a GPS sending unit, which would have to be salvaged out of the car OR and simply, just get the head unit to work with another GPS source, which can be picked up fairly cheap. Hell, my WM phone w/ GPS would prolly work if I did it right...

Just a quick side note on the Garmin 60 CSx. I've been using one for about 2 years, and never needed an exterior antenna. It sits between the E-brake lever and the console and never looses signal.

Back