• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snohomish County may be interested in taking over Retier.

I'm not smart enough to determine if that's good news or bad news? Whatever the case, I hope they continue to follow the recreation plan and proceed with the restoration and eventual re-opening.

I think this could be good. DNR wants a small area for 4x4 and the county wants $$ from the 4x4 users. I don't think DNR knows how many wheelers use Reiter and that a smaller area would be good for them but bad for the income of the county. I just want it back

The comments after the article are pretty interesting as well.....

I hope the County gets it and charges a $3 - $5 use fee like they do at other parks. And then they use the income to pay for stream / sediment protection and law enforcement. The DNR is primarily tasked with their lands producing timber with recreation being a minor side concern. All the people I have really talked to at DNR have Forestry degrees....

Does Reiter no longer get logged? I assumed there was still or would be active logging in certain areas of Reiter. I know there are several fairly recent (5 years old or so) clear-cuts higher up on some of the gravel roads.

I too would support a user-fee system for Reiter if it meant that it would be re-opened. Something along the lines of $10/day, $100 for an annual pass. It'd be worth it IMO.

I would pay to play

I would pay to play

Agreed.

I wonder if this has even become a seriously considered option for re-opening Reiter? To me, at this point, it seems as if Reiter has been taken over with the mind set of changing it's focus away from "high risk/damage" activities such as wheeling and more toward things like hiking and bike riding (I've never personally seen bikers there, but whatever). Which obviously is no good for us, and also makes no sense being as it's primary use was motorized vehicles.

~Scott

February 10, 2010

Hi, folks:

My last email message of February 5 covered a couple of recreation-related topics, including a legislative update on the recreation legislation requested by the Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR). This message is to further update you and address some of the rumors or concerns I’ve heard regarding the legislation.

As is typical at this point in the legislative process, bills are undergoing review, hearings, and language revisions and are subject to change. This is certainly the case with DNR’s requested recreation legislation, which adopts some of the policy recommendations from the Sustainable Recreation Work Group.

As you may recall, both the Senate and the House were considering the same bill language. This week, the Senate version (SB 6237) didn’t make it through the fiscal committee cutoff period, so this version will not advance any further.

However, the House version, SHB 2480, is still alive—but with changes. Highlights of the changes:

- Due to the cost of developing access fees through a public rule-making process, the legislation now sets the fee structure: $5 for a one-time parking pass; $10 per night for camping; $20 annual access pass (parking and camping); a flat $200 administrative fee for events, etc.

- Establishes specific guidelines for how many volunteer hours to accrue (50) before providing a free annual pass. And, it defines how many volunteer hours (1,000) a club must accrue before the club can host events for free on DNR-managed lands.

- Removes the concessionaire pilot project.

- Revises the conditions of the multiagency pass.

I’ve been hearing from many of you with questions about what these changes mean, for example:

Q. Will winter recreationists be double charged by having to buy a Sno-Park permit AND a DNR access pass?

A. We do not want people to be double charged. We will work to get clarification in the bill language.

Q. If I have an ORV tab, do I need an access pass?

A. Yes, you will still need an access pass. The access fees will go toward keeping facilities open that are in danger of being closed or will return services to areas where we had to make reductions. The ORV tab fees do not come directly to DNR. These funds go to Recreation and Conservation Office (RCO) for the Nonhighway and Off-road Vehicle Account (NOVA) grant program.RCO administers the grants, and DNR must apply for these grants and compete with other state agencies for the funding. NOVA grant funding pays for enforcement and education programs, and construction and maintenance.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you’ve had or rumors you’ve been hearing.

To stay current with the legislation, I recommend you follow the progress of HB 2480 on the legislative web site at: http://tinyurl.com/ylho5ba.

If you didn’t get my last email, you can download it from DNR’s Website at: http://tinyurl.com/y92gjxa

Mark R. Mauren
Assistant Division Manager
Recreation, Public Access and WCC Programs
Asset Management and Recreation Division
Washington State Department of Natural Resources
360-902-1047
[email protected]

Thanks

its good to hear that they are going good out there. any one know where to signup for volinteer work?

its good to hear that they are going good out there. any one know where to signup for volinteer work?

Here are a few ways to start.

Blog at: http://bit.ly/9nXp8d
The Blog is a good way to stay current on all kinds of DNR-related issues. You can also follow DNR on our Twitter feed at: https://twitter.com/wadnr. And, you can sign up to be a “Fan” of DNR on our Facebook page at: http://bit.ly/aMsxxy

Candace Johnson

Assistant Region Manager, State Lands

Northwest Rgion
Washington State Department of Natural Resources
Recreation Program
360-854-2803
www.dnr.wa.gov

Back