• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake boosters

shawnxj

NAXJA Forum User
what's the difference between a 96 brake booster and master cylinder compared to a 99 booster/master cylinder other then the $100 extra on the price tag?

if its anything like a 200XJ then i would say the rod in the back of the booster is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch too long. What year XJ isi t going into?

As boostamante said, the rods are different length/shape.

Since your profile says you have an '88, I take it you want to switch out the old Bendix ABS or single diaphragm booster? You can use a '95-'96 booster from an XJ, as well as a WJ master cylinder/booster set up to do this swap.

i just did the 95/96 booster swap into my 89 with the bendix garbage system. everything bolted right in and no fabrication needed. but you need the pedal assembly aswell. go to the junk yard and get the assembly, make sure you get the clip that holds the brake booster rod onto the pedal arm. get the brake switch aswell with the connector. (cut the wires further back) splice in the pink and light blue wires to your wire loom and adjust the switch. also remember to get the 1/4" aluminum spacer thats behind the booster. if you get the booster from the junk yard, it will most likely have the spacer stuck to it. the 95/96 proportioning valve is nice because it has the metal bracket that hold it to the booster. mine was damaged and had to reuse the 89 valve. identicle except for the bracket. oh and make sure you get the lines from the master to the prop valve. allready bent and fit tight so your washer bottle can be reinstalled. (tip) remove the lower dash panel to get to the pedal assembly upper bolts. it makes it alot easier, especially to reinstall. if you have the bendix system now, GET RID OF IT. bad bad juju with those things.

ok so i put my new 95 brake booster on my jeep with the old master cylinder and guess what. yup the rod in the booster isn't long enough to reach the master cylinder. so for you folks who are gonna do this swap make sure you buy the master cylinder as well

Back