• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key stuck in ignition

LegoRacer

NAXJA Forum User
1. Year of your XJ---1997 Sport

2. Engine--- 4.0L

3. Transmission--- Auto

4. Differential---8.25

5. transfer case---NP231

I changed out my ignition lock cylinder. Test fit in the shop was fine... turning vehicle on and off... along with being able to remove the key. Several tests went flawless. Now after I drove it home it will not come out of the ignition... it is actually stuck in-between accessory and position 1. I can still start the vehicle and turn it off but can't turn it into accessory mode to remove the tumbler.

Story:

I changed the ignition lock cylinder because some douche didn't know what they were doing and tried to steel the Jeep. Come on... one of the easiest vehicles to steel. They must have watch gone in 60 seconds too many times. They used the good old screw driver and hammer trick. Sure it will work if the moron put the screw driver in straight instead of off to an angle screwing up the guide for the key. We straightened the guide with (of course) another screw driver and jammed the original key in the cylinder so we could drive it to the shop.

Back to the shop:

I put the ignition lock switch in accessory mode and popped the tumbler out. Physically inspected the new tumbler to confirm it was the same. I did put the tumbler in accessory mode at the time of install. Then I proceeded to the tests. The only test i didn't do was shift it out of park and then back into park thinking I didn't need to do that

When I arrived home I put the vehicle into park and attempted to remove the key... no go. So back to the beginning it is stuck in-between acc and position 1.

Questions...

1. Does the Jeep Cherokee Sport have a "shift lock"?
if not...
What is it and how do I remove this tumbler now?

2. Do you have to press the brake in your vehicle to shift it out of park? My Jeep doesn't need the brake to shift out of park... I don't remember it being like that. And that is why I'm thinking this vehicle could have a shift lock.

Your help is appricated!

Thank you in advance and this is an awesome website by the way. It has saved my butt a few times! Now I need you again!

Last edited:
Auto trans XJ have a Park Lock cable from the key cylinder runs down and piggybacks off the ignition switch at the foot of the steering column and then hangs a right turn and runs under the center console--unless you have a column shifter and then you don't have the Park Lock.

The adjuster is under the center console.

You will need to check the nut that holds it to the ignition switch mount, it is common to work loose and fall off.

So no, you shouldn't have to pull the wheel unless the cable has to be replaced.

Back