• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Been covered, I'm sure, but I can't find it (2 days of searching)...

quick question...

I know a Dana 44 from a 87-90 XJ is a direct bolt in for a 98 Sport. I know I would have to do something to make my ABS work properly.

1. What I can't seem to find (at least for a stock, not lifted, 98 XJ) is if the rear drive shaft will work...

2. Would taking the drive shaft out of the donor (Dana 44) work with my TC?

I hear the D35 has a 27 spline, D40 is a 30 spline... does this effect my 98 drive shaft? I also know the DS is an inch shorter, but I've read it'll work.

I'm confused, there is so much information out there, and I'm sick of reading pages and pages and pages and not getting a clear answer. What's the final word?

Last edited:
get the drive shaft from the jeep the d44 is coming out of. or just get another front drive shaft and use it.

your best bet would be to grab the shaft from the donor vehicle. note the transmission and transfer case. if its the same as yours everything will bolt in like butter. that is... if butter bolted.

you will need the Ubolts. im not sure what the outside diameter of the D44 tubes are but id pay an extra $10 to have new ones made. if you have a thicker than stock leaf pack you may not have enough overhang on the existing u bolts.

you will need the Ubolts. im not sure what the outside diameter of the D44 tubes are but id pay an extra $10 to have new ones made. if you have a thicker than stock leaf pack you may not have enough overhang on the existing u bolts.

but if my suspension is stock, the U-bolts from the donor should be ok?

this sounds easy, I hear the hard part is finding the Dana 44 from a 87-90 w/ the tow package...

I used my Original Driveshaft from the dana 35. worked fine. the dana 44 pinion comes out an inch more then the d35 but it should still work on a stock rig

I think it's actually 96+ as that's the first year of the sealed extension housing design. At stock ride height the same late model driveshaft should still fit, if anything it might need the slip yoke cut just a bit.

That will all be remedied with a slip yoke eliminator kit.. might this be the first xj with a swapped 44 and a stock transfer case?

The u-bolts should be ok. Most u-bolts for the D35 are made to 2.75" which will also fit the D44. I was able to re-use my D35 u-bolts on the D44 without any issue.

"I hear the D35 has a 27 spline, D40 is a 30 spline... does this effect my 98 drive shaft?"
This is not related. The quote is talking about the splines on the axle shafts, not on the drive shaft. I would grab the driveshaft out of the donor vehicle if you have the chance...it may not be needed - but then again, it might. Every XJ is different.

zj brakes work you will need the caliper brackets and if you want a parking brkae you need the backing plates the d35 zj brakes are the same as d44 zj brakes and they will both fit. also they will fit on a chrysler 8.25 the only thing that sucks is finding an e brake cable to work cause zj ones are too short and cherokee ones have the wrong end but you can make them work i welded mine haha i know its hag but also uoi can loop it and put a cable clamp on it:) hopes this answers your question

yip

Back