• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ flares .. yes i looked

PolishX

NAXJA Forum User
saw some threads about people using TJ flares and somone I saw in a thread had some nicely cut down ones on there XJ with the lights all wired it .. anyone remember it offhand or have some info on TJ flares on a XJ

nope, no clue, but you could use TJ flares like me :)
newmeats001.jpg

newmeats002.jpg

will take a look for some pics of mine.
I used TJ fronts in the front of mine but I cut them and shortened them a bit, fiberglassed them back together and found I like the look of them better this way.
for the rear I used YJ rears as they fit the shape of the rear well after a bit of trimming. TJ are squared off a bit and flat at the top, where ar YJ's are rounded more. I didn't feel like cutting and shortening the rear TJ flares so i got some YJ's and they fit near perfect.

any pics of what you did in respect to the fiberglassing?

LilRedRover said:
newmeats001.jpg

newmeats002.jpg

now thats what i'm talking about .. spill it how did you do it was it a pain how far up how much to trim off etc ... looks really clean and a post 96 body style very nice

I don't have any pics of the fiberglassing process. just the end result on the rig.
all i did was cut them to the length I wanted them (bout 4" out of middle) then drilled a few holes spaced out evenly on both sides so when I layed the fiberglass it had someplace to hold onto. just one sheet on the outside (visible side) and another sheet on the inside overlapping each other with a few coats of resin. sanded it down smooth enuf, spray painted with some rubberized rocker gaurd and called it a day.
U54UTF020069-02.jpg
ZD7BR2978248-02.jpg

not great pics, but thats the end result. still have to paint the rears to match. they were very easy to mount, mark the holes, bolt'em up. mark where you want to cut them (front and back) taken them back off and cut them. I used dremel to start, then realized a angle grinder will work ok, and even tin snips will work great for most cuts.

LilRedRover said:
newmeats001.jpg

That looks really nice.

Here's a few of mine. I did not bother wiring the corner lamps, but I do plan on getting the reflector to fill the holes in at some point.
I opted to set the rear just below the door, so I didn't have to cut it. It follows the lines pretty well. I am very happy with them so far.

CIMG1704.jpg

CIMG1457.jpg

whered you guys find your TJ Flares... i'd like to pick some up close by, i tried craigslist, but no luck. Any other ideas... junkyard? I feel stupid, my pops threw some out about a year ago when he lifted his TJ

You could try a junkyard, but will rarely find a TJ there. Sometimes they keep the small stuff, but get rid of the rest. Wouldn't hurt to call around and ask. Might be possible to get blkxjkrawler to get a set for you and ship them. He gets them at a junkyard up north. Keep searching Craigslist, its where I got all 4 of mine for like $30. Also try Ebay, second best place to find something.

Back