• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 out 231 in???

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
sorry, i'm just running through real quick while doing some work in the garage, so i didn't search. rebelrats jeep is in my garage getting worked on, and during a test drive, something in the t-case let loose and bound up. i was thinking about putting a 231 back in instead of the 242, and i think it will bolt right up, but just wanted to make sure.

also how will it affect the t-case shift linkage since the 242 has a couple more options than the 231???

thanks.

hey,

i swapped a np231 from a '87 for my np242 in my '90. there was no issues at all doing the swap. just make sure your input is the same splines AND length.

the linkaged worked just fine, but the shift gate for the floor lever will be slightly off. this does not affect the shifting at all for me. i picked up a bezel from a 231 donor and the shifter does not line up with the bezel, but i dont care about that, just didnt want people thinkin i had full time and try to use 4hi on the pavement.

hth
-Tim

p.s. the only thing i like better about the 231 is the ground clearance (once you install it you will know what i mean- its about an inch). having full time was awesome, but getting a 231 and a SYE for it was cheaper in my case since i burnt up the oil pump/chain in the 242.

If the input gear matches up you could just put the TC in 2wd till he can grab a new shifter and indicator.

I 'think" the actual linkage rods are the same...you might have to adjust it once the new shifter is in.

the shift linkage and rod are pretty much the same, after swapping the 231 i just attached the shift rod to the arm on the t-case and there was no adjustment needed. it shifts pretty good, and doesnt bind up, but i also rebuilt the case when i SYE'd it before i swapped so i have no shifting probs

-Tim

ok well the t-case bolted right up without problems. but for some odd reason the shift pattern on the YJ is upside down of the XJ

let's use a XJ231 for example. it goes 2wd-4hi-N-4low

now with the YJ231, it goes 4lo-N-4hi-2wd

i tried taking the shift arm off the t-case and flipping it down like on the XJ t-case, but it won't work cuz then it won't shift. it's almost like the fork inside the t-case is upside down.

so it's not really a problem. just curious.

now i was wondering though how i get the 4wd light working again. the XJ had a wiring going to a sensor on the t-case. the YJ has a vacuum sensor, but it's in a completely different location on the t-case. and where the XJ had the 4wd sensor, the YJ doesn't have anything at all.

Back