• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joint

Theozor

NAXJA Forum User
Im going to be replacing my lower ball joints tomorrow and was wondering if it is necessary to press the upper ball joints out to get the lower ball joints out?... The uppers only have like 15k miles and don't need replacing.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than i might say something different, but the write-ups i have seen using various ball-joint presses show the press being routed through the upper knuckle after the joint is removed to get the proper angle on the lower joint. Maybe someone knows another method though! good luck.

Unless they make some form of press to work in the limited space; I think you will have to remove the upper ball joints. I rented the press from autozone to do it (even though their press didn't have the correct adapter for the D30, I made it work.

Since you have to pull the tops to get at the bottom; I have made it a habit to just replace all 4 at the same time. Even if I only need bottoms... I do the tops too. Granted if your tops only have 15k miles then you could probably re-use them if you can get them out fine.

Back