• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wj front axle in a xj?

Most of WJ axles that i have seen use CV joints in the axle instead of Spicer U-joints, but its still a dana 30. The bracket for the control arms is a bit wider because they use beefier arms than the XJ. They are not any stronger so i wouldnt bother with it unless your housing is toast and it is all you can find.

Thats my $.02

well i found one really cheapp and mine is 2wd tryin to get the parts up just have basic 4wd for now. just wanna know what im workin with gettion it to fit and all

Hmm, if you're looking for more of an all around "Super Stock" type truck, that may not be a bad choice, especially if you can get the rear axle or axleshafts with the bigger bolt pattrn to work:wave:

Most of WJ axles that i have seen use CV joints in the axle instead of Spicer U-joints, but its still a dana 30. The bracket for the control arms is a bit wider because they use beefier arms than the XJ. They are not any stronger so i wouldnt bother with it unless your housing is toast and it is all you can find.

Thats my $.02

Larger Calipers from what I hear but you'd still have to figure out a way to run the XJ bolt pattern.

I've been wondering this myself. If you don't mind running wheels that don't match can almost bolt it right up. You will have to grind down the lower WJ control arm bolt sleeve to fit on the frame side mounts. I have the WJ control arms installed and I enjoy the added strength for the cheap price.
If anything you can use the larger front brakes and steering to upgrade a HP30/LP30 whichever you go with if you go that route.

wider doesnt really bother me. i like the look. could just throw some spacers on the back or adapters to fit the bigger lug pattern if i cant use mine:sure:

just found out ican get both the front and rearv axles for 20 bucks. worth it? lol only thing is they are missing the brakes and steering on the front and brakes on the rear. would it be worth the time? i thionk its a great deal.

Rear WJ axles are coil spring.

That's why I wondered about using the rear axle assembly or just axleshafts from the WJ as well.
Rear axle from a WJ is going to be a d44a or a d35 (not sure which, maybe both) and coil sprung like IslanderOffroad said, you don't want it.

Its definitely wider.

5x5 bolt pattern.

I think it uses a flange instead of a yoke on the pinion.
Correct, AFAIK. It's a strange cup-flange-thing as it goes around the CV ball and bolts on at about the midpoint, as I recall from my JY run last weekend.

just found out ican get both the front and rearv axles for 20 bucks. worth it? lol only thing is they are missing the brakes and steering on the front and brakes on the rear. would it be worth the time? i thionk its a great deal.
DO IT at that price! You can sell the rear axle for at least 100 if you don't mind throwing it on CL and waiting a while.

What I'd do - investigate whether you can get the driveshaft along with the front axle, and maybe the yoke for the front output of the transfer case. You may be able to put the yoke onto your NP231/242 (not sure) and simply get the driveshaft retubed to have the right length. At the prices you're paying, you stand to break even or even make money on this deal if you play your hand well.

EDIT: oh, you need brakes and steering on the front? Not sure about if you'll break even anymore, still a good deal, you can pick up the remainder of the stuff at the yard. By steering, does this mean it's missing the tie rod and drag link etc or everything including the knuckles?

That's pretty unfortunate, the WJ knuckles and steering are the best part of using a WJ setup :( I'd try and find them at a junkyard really.

Back