• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33s on 3 inch

89 jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone running 33s on a 3 inch lift, if so, hows it workin for ya? I have 31s right now and want to put 33s. Ive already cut the fenders to the smallest flare, removed the plastic ones.

3" or 3.5"? big differance.

anythings possible w/ bumpstops and trimming, youve allready trimmed, but what about bumpstops? you'll need about an inch more bumpstop, depending on actual tire sizes

Its easy, just trim you shouldnt rub and if you do bumpstop.
DSCF4408.jpg

if you dont extend your bumpstops, you will be using shocks or your wheel well to bumpstop.

Just curious, why would he be bottoming out his shocks? I understand that bumpstops would be necessary to keep his 33" tires off sheet metal, but I don't see the relationship to the shocks, unless he bought shocks that were too long. If he had a 3.5" lift with 30" tires, would you have made the same recommendation?

i am running 33 on 3 in...however I have fiberglass fenders up front, and the rear is trimmed up. Also had to add a bit of bump stop however I am super happy with it. This is really the only decent pic I have at the moment, and its with the stock rear still...
IMG_0592.jpg

i ran 33x12.5x15 swampers on 3.5" for a couple years, it was fine, like they say bumpstops are helpful in having your fenders not take chunks out of your tires... and trim alot, i cut a ton of my fenders out...

Just curious, why would he be bottoming out his shocks? I understand that bumpstops would be necessary to keep his 33" tires off sheet metal, but I don't see the relationship to the shocks, unless he bought shocks that were too long. If he had a 3.5" lift with 30" tires, would you have made the same recommendation?

one of basically three things will act as bumpstops, tire/sheetmetal, shock bottoming out, or real, rubber bumpstops, its one of these, no matter what. there are a lot of shock sizes out there, who knows what he's got in there.

...but yeah, in his situation, it would probably be his tires, you are correct.

i am running 33 on 3 in...however I have fiberglass fenders up front, and the rear is trimmed up. Also had to add a bit of bump stop however I am super happy with it. This is really the only decent pic I have at the moment, and its with the stock rear still...
IMG_0592.jpg

what width and rim size are those?

I run 33"X10.50" KOs on 3-1/2" lift. I could easily drop it to 3".
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157622830310636/

It took a bit of experimenting, with tires and spacers borrowed from friends, to find the right combination for my 01 XJ.
Stock alloy rims (15 X 7 w/ 4" BS) plus 1-1/4" spacers positioned the wheels in the best spots for clearance.

Trimming the fenders and flares, moving the flares up and a bit of reshaping the front inner fenders wells was required as well as a lot a adjustments to the suspension and sway bars to get everything to clear.

The bumpstops need to be properly adjusted to allow decent suspension travel, without damaging the shocks or body. Set the bumpstops up so they can be finely adjusted for maximum suspension travel.
Suspension travel---
Rear-5" up and 4" down, front- 5-1/2" up and 4-1/2" down. Not bad for being low.
With dropped brackets and well-adjusted Prothane front bumps and polyurethane rear bumps, it rides nicely without hard bottoming.
I set the bumps up so that there is a 1/2" of shock travel left after hard hits, just in case of a really bad hit that will use all of the bumpstop travel. Shocks are expensive.

The down side of going low is the limits placed on shock travel.
A 10' shock will fit on the front, if the lower mount is dropped.
The rear, on my XJ, is limited to the stock 8-1/2" travel shock due to the raised rear axle shock mounts.
Since it is still a DD, I do not want to run the shocks into the interior….yet.

Dropping the rig an inch has improved the handling and is more fun and safer to drive. I have not had any clearance problems off-road and if I do, that's what the skids are for.

ran the setup for a year and loved it was extremely stable i ran 2" bumpstops up frt(hockey pucks) and alot of trimming, could of gotten away with less trimming with more bumpstops heres a nice pic of the setup :D

anti_val_029.JPG

ran the setup for a year and loved it was extremely stable i ran 2" bumpstops up frt(hockey pucks) and alot of trimming, could of gotten away with less trimming with more bumpstops heres a nice pic of the setup :D

anti_val_029.JPG

flop whore :moon::laugh2:

Back