• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP30 swap for LP30 in 2001

weaselguys

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone swapped a hp30 into a 2000-2001,any problems ?Im looking at swapping my bent LP for a 98 HP30.The HP has anti locks and my 2001 doesn't ,I know the won't function like anti locks but I think they will still work.Any thoughts ?

It'll work fine. The ABS won't work so just remove the sensors from the new axle, or leave them on and don't worry about it.

direct swap.. nothing different except your axle will be high pinion.
its not like your swapping in a d44 from a waggy where you need to weld all the brackets on..etc

mark

I've heard 2 theories on why they put the LP axles in the 00/01 Cherokees.
The popular one was Chrysler saving money on a model they knew they were discontinuing.
The other, more worrisome rumor was that the new for '00, 2 piece cast exhaust manifold/dual pre-cat setup wouldn't clear the HP axle. When you do your swap, you might want to flex the axle all the way up on the drivers side before you put the springs back on, and make sure the new housing clears everything when it's sitting on the bump stops. You might have to extend a bump stop. Other then that, go for it,...

^^ I've heard that they just started using parts from the TJ's (LP D30) since the model was to be discontinued. But on that same note, why would they switch to a COP setup on a model they didn't care about anymore?

LP D30 and HP D30 shares the same components, with the exception of the gear sets so you can swap your brakes, axle shafts, unit hubs, outer knuckles, carrier, etc. over from the LP D30 to the HP D30.

Depending on gear ratios, you can most likely re-use your carrier but you will need new gears and you should replace the carrier bearings and inner axle seals........ if you're gonna have new gears set up, you're half-way thru a ratio change so you might as well do the rear as well, if your rig would benefit from lower gearing.

When you source the HP unit, you'll want to verify that the axle housing is not bent.....hate to go thru all that work, only to find out that your new housing is tweaked.

My HP D30 swap here: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&highlight=buildup+III&page=3

Thanks for the posts guys,I have talked to someone who made the swap on a 2001 with no clearance issues,the only problem I see now is front drive shat lenght.I think mine will be to long, but I was planning on adding coil spacers and that may offset the difference.

Thanks for the posts guys,I have talked to someone who made the swap on a 2001 with no clearance issues,the only problem I see now is front drive shat lenght.I think mine will be to long, but I was planning on adding coil spacers and that may offset the difference.

Or just see if you could get a front drive shaft from the place you're getting your HP 30, cause they probably won't be needing it. Or there's always the junk yard, idk what they're like around you but the ones by me have shafts out the wazoo and'd probably charge me about 10 bucks.

The driveshaft is the same for both axles!

The driveshaft is the same for both axles!

I recently swapped in a HP in my '01 and am concerned about the drive shaft length. From what I can dig up there were two sizes for the Auto. 28.62" and 30.66". Two inch difference!

I am using my DS from my '01 and have not measured it so I do not know how accurate these numbers are. I just know with my RE 4.5 short arm the DS is close enough to full compression at full droop that it makes me want to take a better look at it.

Anyone know a reference with the shaft lengths or have measured the two themselves?

Josh

Back