• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Almost there...

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, swapped in a HO and kept everything Renix but now Im have an issue with 2 sensors.

1. The Temp sensor - The renix had 3 temp sensors, 1 in the block which is the original renix sensor, 1 in the head for the gauge, and another in the T-stat housing (for the electric fan?). I moved the gauge sensor to the T-stat housing (drilled and tapped a new hole), but now i dont know what to do about the block temp sensor (there is no hole in the block for it). Will the sensor already in the housing (which is actually a HO temp sensor) work the same?

2. The knock sensor - I found a threaded whole in the block that will work, but its in a totally different location...its on the VERY bottom of the block just above the oil pan. Does it matter where it is? Or will just any old threaded hole it fits in work?

Thanks for all your help and patience BTW...Its been a process thats for sure!!

Ok, for the record:

Renix temperature gauge sending unit--rear of head, driver's side.

Renix coolant temperature sensor--driver's side of engine block, up in the area of the freeze plugs.

Renix a/c fan sensor/switch--radiator.

Renix knock sensor--driver's side of the engine block, close to the oil pan.

Ok, you should be able to put the coolant temperature sensor in the t/housing. Only question, will the values read tell the ECU the same data as when it was in the block? Should be close enough, if not, you could change the sensor or maybe use resistors to change the values to mimic the earlier placement.

Sounds like you have an HO block with a threaded knock sensor mount--some of the earlier HO engines still had it, later engines it isn't drilled and may even have been eliminated on the very late HO engines.

The engine is out of a 97', and there is no actual hole for the knock sensor...I just lucked out and a couple of the spare holes that were already tapped along the bottom of the engine happened to fit the threads of the knock sensor, but the metal there is twice as thick and not actually in the block itself, but rather wear it flares out at the very bottom, just below the engine mount. Either way, i guess i can slap it there anyways since its not a do or die sensor.

As for the temp sensor, I know it will work there, my question is, ive got 3 sensors, and only enough space for 2, which are currently used up by the E-fan sensor, and the gauge sensor both being placed in the T-stat housing. So if im replacing the gauge sensor with the actual temp sensor from the block, what can I splice the gauge wire into so that it works without jackin with the ECU (im trying to get out of drilling the head to make a spot for it).

I don't think the knock sensor will care much about which hole it's in. Heck, the older CJs had em in the intake manifold. Both my 88 and 90 have gauge sender at back of head. That one you could put in the 97 thermostat housing. They also have a CTS for the ECM located in the water jacket below the manifolds. The fan sensor is in the radiator. I'm not understanding why you don't have your radiator fan sensor in the radiator.

Last edited:
LOL now that explains ALOT. No wonder I was all jacked up...The fan sensor on mine has always been in the T-stat housing since I bought the dang thing, so I just figured thats where it was supposed to go. Moving it to the radiator where its supposed to be works even better. Thanks for all your help :)

Just a reminder jmeti000--------- you know I've heard that you can't put an HO motor in where a Renix was.... but only from people who haven't done it. Have fun.

Back