• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lp d30 vs hp d30

Crawlncoupe

NAXJA Forum User
im looking for some opinions on this arguement im having. lets say i have a choice in my jeep cherokee lifted on 33's to have a high pinion d30 or a low pinion d30 put in my cherokee. lets leave driveshaft angle outta the mix, which axle would be my better choice for strength and trail reliablilty and please list why you think which one is better.

HP D30,period!

There is nothing at all to debate. The axles are identical except for the center section. The HP is stronger and gives more clearance.

Here we go again...:doh:

I'll take my usual semi-contrarian position on this one :D

There's nothing wrong with an LP30 for light to moderate wheeling. I'm running 4.10 gears, an ECTED locker, and 31" BFGs on mine at 4.5" of lift and it works fine. No vibes, no breakage.

Would an HP30 be preferable? Sure. Am I anxious to go to one? Not really. If this XJ ends up with more lift in the future (unlikely, since I really like where it's at right now for how I use it), I'll consider it. Your needs may dictate otherwise, but I wouldn't necessarily call it mandatory.

well im all for the hp, but my buddy insists that the lp is just as strong as the hp, because "they are the same thing". he insists that the only benefit to the hp axle is the pinion angle and im trying to prove a point with this thread.

drive shaft would also be higher thus farther from rocks....

doesnt the hp ride on the heel of the gears teeth rather than the toe? thus making it weaker because the gears are designed to run on the other side. Or does it have reverse cut gears?

:skull1:I have a 00xj with a lpd30 I recently did the hpd30 swap. Everything on the hpd30 is thicker. I also notice that the hpd30 has more fins for cooling. I'm going to say that this hpd30 is stronger:skull1:

I did the LP30 to HP30 swap last august after the pinion bearing failed in my LP30. The pinion yoke should not be tilt and telescope.

It killed the ring and pinon - didn't want to put $500 into the Jeep at the time. Went to the local pick and pull and picked up a HP30 for $80.

Reinforced the LCA mounts, put new ball joints in (Mine needed them also) and swapped my wheel bearings and brakes in.

Only issue I have is, when my drivers side is compressed during a flex, my driveshaft hits the exhaust manifold. Wondering if that's why they used the LP30? I always thought it was because they were cheap and just wanted to use the TJ axle.

I don't expect to have any problems with the HP 30. The LP30 only held up for 2 years of light wheeling with 31s - no locker, etc.

Unless it was giving problems, I wouldn't bother. But I also realize that no everyone can buy a full axle for $80

IIRC the TJ axle has slotted LCA bolt holes for the cam adjusters they use, so I don't think it was that reason. I'd have to check the catalog to be sure.

I suspect it was to clear the exhaust system as well but... there are ways around that. And honestly, my driveshaft on my crapcan 98 DD XJ hits the exhaust with the driveshaft when the front suspension is on the bumps after landing a jump or something, too, even with the factory crush in the downpipe.

IIRC the TJ axle has slotted LCA bolt holes for the cam adjusters they use, so I don't think it was that reason. I'd have to check the catalog to be sure.

I suspect it was to clear the exhaust system as well but... there are ways around that. And honestly, my driveshaft on my crapcan 98 DD XJ hits the exhaust with the driveshaft when the front suspension is on the bumps after landing a jump or something, too, even with the factory crush in the downpipe.

The 2000, 2001 exhaust manifold has clearance issues, apparently.

The HP gear set is stronger going forward. The LP is stronger in reverse. The figure I've seen bandied about on the internet is about 33% stronger for HP going forward.
I've also read lots of people's claims that the HP / LP difference is enough that the HP30 and an LP44 will have equivalent gear strength in a front axle. I have not seen anyone give real, solid numbers or factual information on this point.

Back