• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How concerned should I be about body flex? XJ vs FJ80

larsbc

NAXJA Forum User
For my next 4x4, I've narrowed the choices to either a late model (97+) XJ or a Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80.

One of the things that I'm concerned about are the stories of XJ bodies flexing to the point where doors / tailgates don't close properly. Is this something that only afflicts pre-97 XJs?

How much do the weld on uni-frame plates help to stop this from happening?

FWIW, I plan on using this vehicle for exploring trails but will probably do some rock crawling two or three times a year. Nothing super hard, though. Difficulty level would be about what you'd find on the Rubicon 'cept for the Little Sluice. In other words, the suspension would get flexed to its maximum but I wouldn't be dragging the sides into rocks or anything.

My YJ that I sold a few months ago was used more intensively than what I'm planning to do with an XJ or FJ80, and it lasted just fine for the past 16 years. I'm hoping to get similar durability from my next vehicle. Any comments on the XJ vs FJ80 aspect?

...lars

XJ will be fine with that, especially if you don't jump it... :D

If you want more peace of mind, weld on some frame stiffeners before you bring it offroad at all. Also, aim for a 99 if you can find one, they have a few things on them that are superior to the 97 and 98 models.

An XJ with frame reinforcements will last you a very long time with moderate wheeling.

HD offroad engineering offers frame stiffeners for the entire length of the unibody.

Every 4x4 vehicle has frame/body flex issues when used hard. I've done weld repairs on the trail of broken cracked frames on Jeeps and Toyotas as well as XJ's. Frame flex is an issue for everyone if used hard, not just XJ's. Mild reinforcement and moderate wheeling won't be a problem.

Back